Posted on 2017-12-17, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Louis Hartz | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 226 | ISBN: 0887383262 | ISBN13: 9780887383267 |
Description: Louis Hartz is best known for his classic study, The Liberal Tradition in America. At Harvard University, his lecture course on nineteenth-century politics and ideologies was memorable. Through the editorial hand of Paul Roazen, we can now share the experience of Hartz's considerable contributions to the theory of politics. At the root of Hartz's work is the belief that revolution is not produced by misery, but by pressure of a new system on an old one. This approach enables him to explain sharp differences in revolutionary traditions. Because America essentially was a liberal society from its beginning and had no need for revolutions, America also lacked reactionaries, and lacked a tradition of genuine conservatism characteristic of European thought. In lectures embracing Rousseau, Burke, Comte, Hegel, Mill, and Marx among others, Hartz develops a keen sense of the delicate balance between the role of the state in both enhancing and limiting personal freedom. Hartz notably insisted on the autonomy of intellectual life and the necessity of individual choice as an essential ingredient of liberty.
The Necessity of Choice: Nineteenth Century Political Thought.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34476
- 2017-12-18[PDF] The Cambridge History of Twentieth-Century Political Thought (The Cambridge History of Political Thought)
- 2017-12-18[PDF] The Cambridge History of Eighteenth-Century Political Thought (The Cambridge History of Political Thought)
- 2013-08-17The Cambridge History of Nineteenth-Century Political Thought (repost)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] The Great Encyclopedia of Nineteenth-Century Major League Baseball
- 2017-10-04[PDF] The Other East and Nineteenth-Century British Literature: Imagining Poland and the Russian Empire - Removed
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Other East and Nineteenth-Century British Literature: Imagining Poland and the Russian Empire
- 2017-12-01[PDF] The Cambridge Companion to Ancient Greek Political Thought (Cambridge Companions to the Ancient World)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] The West and Islam Religion and Political Thought in World History
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The West and Islam Religion and Political Thought in World History
- 2008-12-06The Cambridge History of Eighteenth-Century Political Thought
- 2012-03-17Tithe and Agrarian History from the Fourteenth to the Nineteenth Century: An Essay in Comparative History By Emmanuel le Roy Ladurie, Joseph Goy
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Roman Catholic Church Music in England, 17911914: A Handmaid of the Liturgy? (Music in Nineteenth-Century Britain)
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Energy, Force and Matter: The Conceptual Development of Nineteenth-Century Physics (Cambridge Studies in the History of Science)
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Acid Rain and the Rise of the Environmental Chemist in Nineteenth-Century Britain
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Music for the Melodramatic Theatre in Nineteenth-Century London and New York (Studies Theatre Hist & Culture)
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Our Family Dreams: The Fletchers' Adventures in Nineteenth Century America
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Capitalism Takes Command: The Social Transformation of Nineteenth-Century America
- 2017-10-06[PDF] A House Divided: The Civil War and Nineteenth-Century America
- 2017-10-05[PDF] The Valiant Woman: The Virgin Mary in Nineteenth-Century American Culture
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.