Posted on 2018-01-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: John Andreas Olsen, Colin S. Gray | Category: Military Science | Language: English | Page: 296 | ISBN: 0199608636 | ISBN13: 9780199608638 |
Description: The Practice of Strategy focuses on grand strategy and military strategy as practiced over an extended period of time and under very different circumstances, from the campaigns of Alexander the Great to insurgencies and counter-insurgencies in present-day Afghanistan and Iraq. It presents strategy as it pertained not only to wars, campaigns, and battles, but also to times of peace that were over-shadowed by the threat of war. The book is intended to deepen understanding of the phenomena and logic of strategy by reconstructing the considerations and factors that shaped imperial and nation-state policies. Through historical case studies, the book sheds light on a fundamental question: is there a unity to all strategic experience? Adopting the working definition of strategy as 'the art of winning by purposely matching ends, ways and means,' these chapters deal with the intrinsic nature of war and strategy and the characteristics of a particular strategy in a given conflict. They show that a specific convergence of political objectives, operational schemes of manoeuvre, tactical moves and countermoves, technological innovations and limitations, geographic settings, transient emotions and more made each conflict studied unique. Yet, despite the extraordinary variety of the people, circumstances, and motives discussed in this book, there is a strong case for continuity in the application of strategy from the olden days to the present. Together, these chapters reveal that grand strategy and military strategy have elements of continuity and change, art and science. They further suggest that the element of continuity lies in the essential nature of strategy and war, while the element of change lies in the character of individual strategies and wars.
The Practice of Strategy: From Alexander the Great to the Present.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35545
- 2012-05-17Afghanistan: A Military History From Alexander The Great To The Fall Of The Taliban
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Law and Legal Practice in Egypt from Alexander to the Arab Conquest: A Selection of Papyrological Sources in Translation, with Introductions and Commentary
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Makers of Ancient Strategy: From the Persian Wars to the Fall of Rome
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Lenin's Electoral Strategy from Marx and Engels through the Revolution of 1905: The Ballot, the Streets - or Both
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Lenin's Electoral Strategy from 1907 to the October Revolution of 1917: The Ballot, the Streetsor Both
- 2012-06-04Tank Battles of the Mid-East Wars (2): The Wars Of 1973 To The Present (Concord 7009)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] The Present and the Past in Medieval Irish Chronicles (Studies in Celtic History)
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
- 2017-10-30[PDF] A History of Strategy: From Sun Tzu to William S. Lind
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Canon 5D Mark III: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Travel and Street Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- 2017-02-07[PDF] Travel and Street Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- 2017-02-07[PDF] Canon 5D Mark III: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- 2017-02-07[PDF] Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Australian Department Heads Under Howard: Career Paths and Practice: Collected Articles from The Canberra Times
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Practice of Behavioral Strategy (Research in Behavioral Strategy)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Leadership Secrets of Hamilton: 7 Steps to Revolutionary Leadership from Alexander Hamilton and the Founding Fathers
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.