Posted on 2018-01-29, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Irene Oh | Category: Philosophy | Language: English | Page: 160 | ISBN: 1589011848 | ISBN13: 9781589011847 |
Description: Promoting Islam as a defender of human rights is laden with difficulties. Advocates of human rights will readily point out numerous humanitarian failures carried out in the name of Islam. In The Rights of God, Irene Oh looks at human rights and Islam as a religious issue rather than a political or legal one and draws on three revered Islamic scholars to offer a broad range of perspectives that challenge our assumptions about the role of religion in human rights. The theoretical shift from the conception of morality based in natural duty and law to one of rights has created tensions that hinder a fruitful exchange between human rights theorists and religious thinkers. Does the static identification of human rights with lists of specific rights, such as those found in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, make sense given the cultural, historical, and religious diversity of the societies in which these rights are to be respected and implemented? In examining human rights issues of the contemporary Islamic world, Oh illustrates how the value of religious scholarship cannot be overestimated. Oh analyzes the commentaries of Abul A'la Maududi, Sayyid Qutb, and Abdolkarim Soroushall prominent and often controversial Islamic thinkerson the topics of political participation, religious toleration, and freedom of conscience. While Maududi and Qutb represent traditional Islam, and Soroush a more reform and Western-friendly approach, all three contend that Islam is indeed capable of accommodating and advocating human rights. Whereas disentangling politics and culture from religion is never easy, Oh shows that the attempt must be made in order to understand and overcome the historical obstacles that prevent genuine dialogue from taking place across religious and cultural boundaries. My Link
The Rights of God: Islam, Human Rights, and Comparative Ethics (Advancing Human Rights).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35771
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Names of God in Judaism, Christianity and Islam: A Basis for Interfaith Dialogue
- 2017-11-03[PDF] The Loom of God: Tapestries of Mathematics and Mysticism
- 2017-10-25[PDF] The Essentials of Ibadi Islam (Modern Intellectual and Political History of the Middle East)
- 2008-02-16The Rights of God: Islam, Human Rights, and Comparative Ethics
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Rights & Duties of Women in Islam
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Fate of Freedom Elsewhere: Human Rights and U.S. Cold War Policy toward Argentina
- 2017-12-18[PDF] The No-nonsense Guide to Human Rights
- 2017-12-08[PDF] The International Struggle for New Human Rights
- 2017-12-04[PDF] The Oxford Handbook of International Human Rights Law
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The Oxford Handbook of International Human Rights Law
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The rights and wrongs of zebrafish: Behavioral phenotyping of zebrafish
- 2018-01-14[PDF] The Long Quest for Identity: Political Identity and Fundamental Rights Protection in the European Union (Lisbon Philosophical Studies - Uses of Languages in Interdisciplinary Fields)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Battle for God: Fundamentalism in Judaism, Christianity and Islam
- 2017-11-27[PDF] The Rights Revolution: Rights and Community in Modern America
- 2017-11-06[PDF] The People's Place: Soul Food Restaurants and Reminiscences from the Civil Rights Era to Today
- 2017-10-31[PDF] The Rights of the Private Tenant: A Straightforward Guide to...
- 2017-10-29[PDF] The Love of God: Divine Gift, Human Gratitude, and Mutual Faithfulness in Judaism (Library of Jewish Ideas)
- 2017-10-14[PDF] The Other Women's Movement: Workplace Justice and Social Rights in Modern America (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America)
- 2017-10-06[PDF] The Rights of the People: How Our Search for Safety Invades Our Liberties
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.