Posted on 2017-12-01, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Gary Urton | Category: Mathematics | Language: English | Page: 267 | ISBN: 0292785348 | ISBN13: 9780292785342 |
Description: 029278533X Unraveling all the mysteries of the khipuâ€”the knotted string device used by the Inka to record both statistical data and narrative accounts of myths, histories, and genealogiesâ€”will require an understanding of how number values and relations may have been used to encode information on social, familial, and political relationships and structures. This is the problem Gary Urton tackles in his pathfinding study of the origin, meaning, and significance of numbers and the philosophical principles underlying the practice of arithmetic among Quechua-speaking peoples of the Andes. Based on fieldwork in communities around Sucre, in south-central Bolivia, Urton argues that the origin and meaning of numbers were and are conceived of by Quechua-speaking peoples in ways similar to their ideas about, and formulations of, gender, age, and social relations. He also demonstrates that their practice of arithmetic is based on a well-articulated body of philosophical principles and values that reflects a continuous attempt to maintain balance, harmony, and equilibrium in the material, social, and moral spheres of community life.
The Social Life of Numbers: A Quechua Ontology of Numbers and Philosophy of Arithmetic.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33963
- 2017-01-14[PDF] The Social Life of Numbers: A Quechua Ontology of Numbers and Philosophy of Arithmetic
- 2009-03-10The Social Life of Numbers: A Quechua Ontology of Numbers and Philosophy of Arithmetic
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Social Life of Money
- 2017-11-29[PDF] The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces
- 2017-11-12[PDF] The Social Life of Materials: Studies in Materials and Society
- 2017-11-09[PDF] The Social Life of Climate Change Models: Anticipating Nature
- 2017-11-05[PDF] The Social Life of Ink: Culture Wonder And Our Relationship With The Written Word
- 2017-10-19[PDF] The Secret Life of Numbers:: 50 Easy Pieces on How Mathematicians Work and Think
- 2017-10-18[PDF] The Social Life of DNA: Race, Reparations, and Reconciliation After the Genome
- 2017-02-16[PDF] The Social Life of Climate Change Models: Anticipating Nature
- 2017-01-19[PDF] The Secret Life of Numbers:: 50 Easy Pieces on How Mathematicians Work and Think
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The Social Media MBA Guide to ROI: How to Measure and Improve Your Return on Investment
- 2017-12-01[PDF] The Britannica Guide to Numbers and Measurement (Math Explained)
- 2017-11-13[PDF] The Great Life Diet: A Practical Guide to Heath, Happiness, and Personal Fulfillment
- 2017-11-08[PDF] The Occult Life of Things: Native Amazonian Theories of Materiality and Personhood
- 2017-10-17[PDF] The Ninth Life: A new cat mystery series (A Blackie and Care Cat Mystery)
- 2017-10-12[PDF] The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear
- 2020-12-12The Social Lives of Numbers Statistics, Reform and the Remaking of Rural Life in Turkey
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Social Organism: A Radical Understanding of Social Media to Transform Your Business and Life [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.