[PDF] The Son Also Rises: Surnames and the History of Social Mobility (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)
Posted on 2018-01-01, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Gregory Clark | Category: Economy | Language: English | Page: 384 | ISBN: 0691162549 | ISBN13: 9780691162546 |
Description: How much of our fate is tied to the status of our parents and grandparents? How much does this influence our children? More than we wish to believe. While it has been argued that rigid class structures have eroded in favor of greater social equality, The Son Also Rises proves that movement on the social ladder has changed little over eight centuries. Using a novel technique tracking family names over generations to measure social mobility across countries and periods renowned economic historian Gregory Clark reveals that mobility rates are lower than conventionally estimated, do not vary across societies, and are resistant to social policies. The good news is that these patterns are driven by strong inheritance of abilities and lineage does not beget unwarranted advantage. The bad news is that much of our fate is predictable from lineage. Clark argues that since a greater part of our place in the world is predetermined, we must avoid creating winner-take-all societies. Clark examines and compares surnames in such diverse cases as modern Sweden, fourteenth-century England, and Qing Dynasty China. He demonstrates how fate is determined by ancestry and that almost all societies as different as the modern United States, Communist China, and modern Japan have similarly low social mobility rates. These figures are impervious to institutions, and it takes hundreds of years for descendants to shake off the advantages and disadvantages of their ancestors. For these reasons, Clark contends that societies should act to limit the disparities in rewards between those of high and low social rank.
The Son Also Rises: Surnames and the History of Social Mobility (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34910
- 2020-08-27The Son Also Rises: Surnames and the History of Social Mobility (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)
- 2018-11-01The son also rises surnames and the history of social mobility
- 2014-05-09The Son Also Rises: Surnames and the History of Social Mobility
- 2014-04-05The Son Also Rises: Surnames and the History of Social Mobility
- 2012-03-16Analysis and Interpretation in the Exact Sciences: Essays in Honour of William Demopoulos (The Western Ontario Series in Philosophy of Science) By Melanie Frappier (Editor), Derek Brown (Editor), Robert DiSalle (Editor)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Moral World of James: Setting the Epistle in its Greco-Roman and Judaic Environments (Studies in Biblical Literature)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Jewish World of Sigmund Freud: Essays on Cultural Roots and the Problem of Religious Identity
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Cambridge World History: Volume IV: A World with States, Empires and Networks 1200 BCE-900 CE (Volume 4)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Deinstitutionalisation and After: Post-War Psychiatry in the Western World (Mental Health in Historical Perspective) - Removed
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Great Leveler: Violence and the History of Inequality from the Stone Age to the Twenty-First Century (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Natural World as a Philosophical Problem (Studies in Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Western Front: Landscape, Tourism and Heritage (Modern Conflict Archaeology)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The First World War and German National Identity: The Dual Alliance at War (Studies in the Social and Cultural History of Modern Warfare) [German]
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Medieval World I: Kingdoms, Empires, and War (The Modern Scholar) (Audiobook)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Modern World-System I: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Modern World-System II: Mercantilism and the Consolidation of the European World-Economy, 1600-1750
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages - Removed
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The New World of the Gothic Fox: Culture and Economy in English and Spanish America
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.