Posted on 2018-01-03, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Judith H. Anderson | Publisher: Fordham University Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 336 | ISBN: 082322421X | ISBN13: 9780823224210 |
Description: The title Translating Investments, a manifold pun, refers to metaphor and clothing, authority and interest, and trading and finance. Translation, Latin translatio, is historically a name for metaphor, and investment, etymologically a reference to clothing, participates both in the complex symbolism of early modern dress and in the cloth trade of the period. In this original and wide-ranging book, Judith Anderson studies the functioning of metaphor as a constructive force within language, religious doctrine and politics, literature, rhetoric, and economics during the reigns of the Tudors and early Stuarts. Invoking a provocative metaphorical concept from Andy Clark's version of cognitive science, she construes metaphor itself as a form of scaffolding fundamental to human culture. A more traditional and controversial conception of such scaffolding is known as sublation-Hegel's Aufhebung, or raising,as the philosophers Jacques Derrida and Paul Ricoeur have understood this term. Metaphor is the agent of raising, or sublation, and sublation is inseparable from the productive life of metaphor, as distinct in its death in code or clich. At the same time, metaphor embodies the sense both of partial loss and of continuity, or preservation, also conveyed by the term Aufhebung. Anderson's study is simultaneously critical and historical. History and the theory are shown to be mutually enlightening, as are a wide variety of early modern texts and their specific cultural contexts. From beginning to end, this study touches the present, engaging questions about language, rhetoric, and reading within post-structuralism and neo-cognitivism. It highlights connections between intellectual problems active in our own culture and those evident in the earlier texts, controversies, and crises Anderson analyzes. In this way, the study is bifocal, like metaphor itself. While Anderson's overarching concern is with metaphor as a creative exchange, a source of code-breaking conceptual power, each of her chapters focuses on a different but related issue and cultural sector. Foci include the basic conditions of linguistic meaning in the early modern period, instantiated by Shakespeare's plays and related to modern theories of metaphor the role of metaphor in the words of eucharistic institution under Archbishop Cranmer the play of metaphor and metonymy in the writings of Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin and in John Donne's Devotions the manipulation of these two tropes in the politics of the controversy over ecclesiastical vestments and in its treatment by John Foxe the abuse of figuration in the house of Edmund Spenser's Busirane, where catachresis, an extreme form of metaphor, is the trope du jour the conception of metaphor in the Roman rhetorics and their legacy in the sixteenth century and the concept of exchange in the economic writing of Gerrard de Malynes, merchant and metaphorist in the reigns of Elizabeth and James. What emerges at the end of this book is a heightened critical sense of the dynamic of metaphor in cultural history.
Translating Investments: Metaphor and the Dynamics of Cultural Change in Tudor-Stuart England.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34991
- 2009-10-16Translating Investments: Metaphor and the Dynamics of Cultural Change in Tudor-Stuart England
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Translating Empire: Emulation and the Origins of Political Economy
- 2017-10-31[PDF] Receptive Spirit: German Idealism and the Dynamics of Cultural Transmission (Idiom Inventing Writing Theory FUP) [German]
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Buyways: Billboards, Automobiles, and the American Landscape (Cultural Spaces)
- 2017-02-17[PDF] Buyways: Billboards, Automobiles, and the American Landscape (Cultural Spaces)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Migration Policymaking in Europe: The Dynamics of Actors and Contexts in Past and Present (Amsterdam University Press - IMISCOE Research)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Private Equity, Corporate Governance And The Dynamics Of Capital Market Regulation
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Extended Cognition and the Dynamics of Algorithmic Skills (Studies in Applied Philosophy, Epistemology and Rational Ethics)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Geometry of Creation: Architectural Drawing and the Dynamics of Gothic Design
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth: Debt as Metaphor and the Shadow Side of Wealth
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Bukharan Jews and the Dynamics of Global Judaism (Indiana Series in Sephardi and Mizrahi Studies)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Rethinking History, Reframing Identity: Memory, Generations, and the Dynamics of National Identity in Poland - Removed
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Sustainable Resource Use and Economic Dynamics (The Economics of Non-Market Goods and Resources) - Removed
- 2017-12-30[PDF] A Life Cycle for Clusters?: The Dynamics of Agglomeration, Change, and Adaption (Contributions to Economics)
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Cuba in the American Imagination: Metaphor and the Imperial Ethos (Caravan Book)
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Freudian Repression, the Unconscious, and the Dynamics of Inhibition
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The African Transformation of Western Medicine and the Dynamics of Global Cultural Exchange
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Failed Statebuilding: Intervention, the State, and the Dynamics of Peace Formation
- 2017-11-11[PDF] The Passions in Play: Thyestes and the Dynamics of Senecan Drama
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.