Posted on 2018-01-04, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Anthony Pagden | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 656 | ISBN: 1400060672 | ISBN13: 9781400060672 |
Description: Spanning two and a half millennia, Anthony Pagdenâ€™s mesmerizing Worlds at War delves deep into the roots of the â€œclash of civilizationsâ€ between East and West that has always been a battle over ideas, and whose issues have never been more urgent. Worlds At War begins in the ancient world, where Greece saw its fight against the Persian Empire as one between freedom and slavery, between monarchy and democracy, between individuality and the worship of men as gods. Here, richly rendered, are the crucial battle of Marathon, considered the turning point of Greek and European history the heroic attempt by the Greeks to turn the Persians back at Thermopylae and Salamis, one of the greatest naval battles of all time, which put an end to the Persian threat forever. From there Pagdenâ€™s story sweeps to Rome, which created the modern concepts of citizenship and the rule of law. Romeâ€™s leaders believed those they conquered to be free, while the various peoples of the East persisted in seeing their subjects as property. Pagden dramatizes the birth of Christianity in the East and its use in the West as an instrument of government, setting the stage for what would become, and has remained, a global battle of the secular against the sacred. Then Islam, at first ridiculed in Christian Europe, drives Pope Urban II to launch the Crusades, which transform the relationship between East and West into one of competing religious beliefs. Modern times bring a first world war, which among its many murky aims seeks to redesign the Muslim world by force. In our own era, Muslims now find themselves in unwelcoming Western societies, while the West seeks to enforce democracy and its own secular values through occupation in the East. Pagden ends on a cautionary note, warning that terrorism and war will continue as long as sacred and secular remain confused in the minds of so many. Eye-opening and compulsively readable, Worlds at War is a stunning work of history and a triumph of modern scholarship. It is bound to become the definitive work on the reasons behind the age-old and still escalating struggle that, more than any other, has come to define the modern worldâ€“a book for anyone seeking to know why â€œwe came to be the way we are."
Worlds at War: The 2,500-Year Struggle Between East and West.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35025
- 2013-06-24Worlds at War: The 2,500 - Year Struggle Between East and West by Anthony Pagden [Repost]
- 2012-09-12Anthony Pagden - Worlds at War: The 2,500-Year Struggle Between East and West
- 2009-03-31Worlds at War: The 2,500-Year Struggle Between East and West
- 2017-10-18[PDF] A Season on the Brink: A Year with Bob Knight and the Indiana Hoosiers
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Relations Between East and West in the Middle Ages
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Russia Between East and West: Russian Foreign Policy on the Threshhold of the Twenty-First Century (Cummings Center Series) [Russian]
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Religions and Trade: Religious Formation, Transformation and Cross-Cultural Exchange Between East and West (Dynamics in the History of Religions)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Relations Between East and West in the Middle Ages
- 2021-06-14The Silk Roads: A History of the Great Trading Routes Between East and West
- 2018-07-01Can Asians Think Understanding the Divide Between East and West
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Eurocommunism between East and West
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Ivo Andric: Bridge Between East and West
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Innovative China: Innovation Race Between East and West (Management for Professionals) - Removed
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Spirits in Transcultural Skies: Auspicious and Protective Spirits in Artefacts and Architecture Between East and West - Removed
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Between East and West (European Perspectives: A Series in Social Thought and Cultural Criticism)
- 2017-10-16[PDF] Intercultural Masquerade: New Orientalism, New Occidentalism, Old Exoticism (Encounters between East and West) - Removed
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Eurocommunism between East and West
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Between East and West (European Perspectives: A Series in Social Thought and Cultural Criticism)
- 2011-10-18Relations Between East and West in the Middle Ages
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.