Posted on 2020-06-28, by 0nelovee.
English | 2018 | ISBN: 1472957733 | 256 pages | EPUB | 96.21 MB
Captain Cook is generally acknowledged as the first great European scientific explorer. Despite his ordinary roots, he rose through the ranks to become a remarkable officer. On May 27, 1768, Cook, then just a Royal Naval lieutenant, took command of HM bark Endeavour. Its voyage of exploration to the Pacific would last almost three years, record thousands of miles of uncharted lands and seas-including New Zealand, the east coast of Australia and many Pacific islands-and test all Cook's skills as a navigator, seaman and leader. Cook's three voyages were among the first to take civilian scientists, notably Sir Joseph Banks, and they would reveal to European eyes the lands, peoples, flora and fauna of the Pacific as never before, heralding a period of great change for the region. His voyages would also set new standards for scientific enquiry and exploration.
But while the figure of Cook understandably dominates the story of 18th-century Pacific exploration, his fame has often shadowed those who followed him on many voyages of science and exploration into the Pacific, depriving these explorers of the greater attention they deserve. Correcting this imbalance, Pacific Encounters reveals the European voyages that continued Cook's work not only of charting but also starting to exploit and control the Pacific. These voyages, by William Bligh, George Vancouver, Matthew Flinders, Malaspina, Lapérouse and Arthur Phillip, span a period that saw Britain becoming the world's leading maritime power, a situation well in place by the time that Charles Darwin's voyage in Fitzroy's Beagle laid the basis of even greater understanding of the development of life on earth.
Recounting and illustrating these achievements and legacies using fascinating text and beautiful illustrations and artworks from the period, this book explores topics of scientific discovery, engagement with indigenous peoples, the use of shipboard artists and scientists, the growing professionalism of the hydrographic service, the vessels used and the colonial, commercial and imperial contexts of the voyages.
- Ebooks list page : 43996
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Great Ocean: Pacific Worlds from Captain Cook to the Gold Rush
- 2020-06-25The Reef: A Passionate History: The Great Barrier Reef from Captain Cook to Climate Change
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Captain Cook's Endeavour (Anatomy of the ship)
- 2014-01-07Captain Cook's Endeavour (Anatomy of the ship)
- 2010-04-05Captain Cook's Journal During the First Voyage Round the World
- 2009-11-18Captain Cook's Endeavour (Anatomy of the Ship - Revised Edition)
- 2009-06-27Captain Cook's Journal During the First Voyage Round the World
- 2012-01-04Advanced Methods for Knowledge Discovery from Complex Data (Repost) - Diane J. Cook
- 2012-01-02Advanced Methods for Knowledge Discovery from Complex Data (Repost) - Diane J. Cook
- 2021-03-13Discoveries: The Voyages of Captain Cook
- 2021-03-08The Pacific In the Wake of Captain Cook with Sam Neill S01E05 720p HEVC x265-MeGusta
- 2021-03-08The Pacific In the Wake of Captain Cook with Sam Neill S01E06 720p HEVC x265-MeGusta
- 2021-02-14Discoveries: The Voyages of Captain Cook
- 2018-11-15Captain Cook's Merchant Ships Freelove, Three Brothers, Mary, Friendship, Endeavour, Adventure, Resolution and Discovery
- 2018-10-06Captain Cook's Merchant Ships Freelove, Three Brothers, Mary, Friendship, Endeavour, Adventure, Resolution and Discovery
- 2018-09-21Discoveries The Voyages of Captain Cook
- 2018-09-10The Pacific In the Wake of Captain Cook, with Sam Neill - Removed
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Great Tales from English History (3): Captain Cook, Samuel Johnson, Queen Victoria, Charles Darwin, Edward the Abdicator, and More
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Great Tales from English History (3): Captain Cook, Samuel Johnson, Queen Victoria, Charles Darwin, Edward the Abdicator, and More
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.