Paranormal America: Ghost Encounters, UFO Sightings, Bigfoot Hunts, and Other Curiosities in Religion and Culture
Posted on 2012-04-24. By anonymous.
English | ISBN: 0814791352, 0814791344 | 2011 | 272 pages | PDF + EPUB | 2 + 0,6 MB
A significant number of Americans spend their weekends at UFO conventions hearing whispers of government cover-ups, at New Age gatherings learning the keys to enlightenment, or ambling around historical downtowns learning about resident ghosts in tourist-targeted â€œghost walksâ€. They have been fed a steady diet of fictional shows with paranormal themes such as The X-Files, Supernatural, and Medium, shows that may seek to simply entertain, but also serve to disseminate paranormal beliefs. The public hunger for the paranormal seems insatiable.
Paranormal America provides the definitive portrait of Americans who believe in or have experienced such phenomena as ghosts, Bigfoot, UFOs, psychic phenomena, astrology, and the power of mediums. However, unlike many books on the paranormal, this volume does not focus on proving or disproving the paranormal, but rather on understanding the people who believe and how those beliefs shape their lives.
Drawing on the Baylor Religion Surveyâ€”a multi-year national random sample of American religious values, practices, and behaviorsâ€”as well as extensive fieldwork including joining hunts for Bigfoot and spending the night in a haunted house, authors Christopher Bader, F. Carson Mencken, and Joseph Baker shed light on what the various types of paranormal experiences, beliefs, and activities claimed by Americans are; whether holding an unconventional belief, such as believing in Bigfoot, means that one is unconventional in other attitudes and behaviors; who has such experiences and beliefs and how they differ from other Americans; and if we can expect major religions to emerge from the paranormal.
Brimming with engaging personal stories and provocative findings, Paranormal America is an entertaining yet authoritative look at a growing segment of American religious culture.
- Ebooks list page : 18348
- 2020-02-08Alternate Histories and Nineteenth-Century Literature: Untimely Meditations in Britain, France, and America (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- 2018-11-01Otherworldly Encounters Evidence of UFO Sightings and Abductions
- 2018-08-09Otherworldly Encounters Evidence of UFO Sightings and Abductions
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Haunted Ground: Journeys through a Paranormal America
- 2017-10-12[PDF] When Science Encounters the Child: Education, Parenting, And Child Welfare in 20th-Century America (Reflective History Series)
- 2017-10-10[PDF] The Ufo Handbook: A Guide to Investigating, Evaluating, and Reporting Ufo Sightings
- 2017-02-08[PDF] The Ufo Handbook: A Guide to Investigating, Evaluating, and Reporting Ufo Sightings
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Haunted Ground: Journeys through a Paranormal America
- 2014-05-16Vimanna - UFO Sightings EP (2014)
- 2013-09-08Soldier of Love (Ghost Encounters #1) by Gabrielle Holly [epub]
- 2013-03-16The Ufo Handbook: A Guide to Investigating, Evaluating, and Reporting Ufo Sightings
- 2011-12-24Haunted Ground: Journeys through a Paranormal America - Darryl V. Caterine
- 2011-12-07Haunted Ground: Journeys through a Paranormal America - Darryl V. Caterine
- 2011-11-18Haunted Ground: Journeys through a Paranormal America
- 2011-11-11Haunted Ground: Journeys through a Paranormal America
- 2011-11-08Ghost Encounters: Deadwood
- 2020-06-27JFK & UFO Military Industrial Conspiracy and Cover Up from Maury Island to Dallas
- 2020-06-09Killer Care: How Medical Error Became America's Third Largest Cause of Death, and What Can Be Done About It
- 2020-06-08Prison Food in America (Rowman & Littlefield Studies in Food and Gastronomy)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.