Posted on 2018-07-08, by nokia241186.
Pharmakon: Plato, Drug Culture, and Identity in Ancient Athens by Michael A. Rinella
English | June 5, 2010 | ISBN: 0739146866, 0739146874 | EPUB | 358 pages | 1.3 MB
Pharmakon: Plato, Drug Culture, and Identity in Ancient Athens examines the emerging concern for controlling states of psychological ecstasy in the history of western thought, focusing on ancient Greece (c. 750 - 146 BCE), particularly the Classical Period (c. 500 - 336 BCE) and especially the dialogues of the Athenian philosopher Plato (427 - 347 BCE).
Employing a diverse array of materials ranging from literature, philosophy, medicine, botany, pharmacology, religion, magic, and law, Pharmakon fundamentally reframes the conceptual context of how we read and interpret Plato's dialogues. Michael A. Rinella demonstrates how the power and truth claims of philosophy, repeatedly likened to a pharmakon, opposes itself to the cultural authority of a host of other occupations in ancient Greek society who derived their powers from, or likened their authority to, some pharmakon. These included Dionysian and Eleusinian religion, physicians and other healers, magicians and other magic workers, poets, sophists, rhetoricians, as well as others.
Accessible to the general reader, yet challenging to the specialist, Pharmakon is a comprehensive examination of the place of drugs in ancient thought that will compel the reader to understand Plato in a new way.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36633
- 2012-01-13Pharmakon: Plato, Drug Culture, and Identity in Ancient Athens - Michael A. Rinella
- 2011-12-03Pharmakon: Plato, Drug Culture, and Identity in Ancient Athens
- 2017-12-06[PDF] Ancient Umbria: State, Culture, and Identity in Central Italy from the Iron Age to the Augustan Era
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Ancient Umbria: State, Culture, and Identity in Central Italy from the Iron Age to the Augustan Era
- 2012-10-13Ancient Umbria: State, Culture, and Identity in Central Italy from the Iron Age to the Augustan Era by G. Bradley (Repost)
- 2011-06-21Southeast Asian Culture and Heritage in a Globalising World (Heritage, Culture and Identity) - Removed
- 2009-02-18Ancient Umbria: State, Culture, and Identity in Central Italy from the Iron Age to the Augustan Era
- 2018-04-11The New Man in Cuba Culture and Identity in the Revolution
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Popular Music in Eastern Europe: Breaking the Cold War Paradigm (Pop Music, Culture and Identity) - Removed
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Geography and Genealogy: Locating Personal Pasts (Heritage, Culture and Identity)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Becoming Indian - The Unfinished Revolution of Culture and Identity
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Language, Culture and Identity: An Ethnolinguistic Perspective (Advances in Sociolinguistics)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Afro-Cuban Theology: Religion, Race, Culture, and Identity
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Community and Identity in Ancient Egypt: The Old Kingdom Cemetery at Qubbet el-Hawa
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Indigenous Education: Language, Culture and Identity
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Defying Maliseet Language Death: Emergent Vitalities of Language, Culture, and Identity in Eastern Canada
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Cultural Memory and Identity in Ancient Societies (Cultural Memory and History in Antiquity)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Queer Youth Suicide, Culture and Identity: Unliveable Lives?
- 2017-11-07[PDF] The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture and Identity
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.