Posted on 2018-07-29, by nokia241186.
Philosophic Pride: Stoicism and Political Thought from Lipsius to Rousseau by Christopher Brooke
English | April 8, 2012 | ISBN: 069115208X | EPUB | 304 pages | 1 MB
Philosophic Pride is the first full-scale look at the essential place of Stoicism in the foundations of modern political thought. Spanning the period from Justus Lipsius's Politics in 1589 to Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Emile in 1762, and concentrating on arguments originating from England, France, and the Netherlands, the book considers how political writers of the period engaged with the ideas of the Roman and Greek Stoics that they found in works by Cicero, Seneca, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius. Christopher Brooke examines key texts in their historical context, paying special attention to the history of classical scholarship and the historiography of philosophy.
Brooke delves into the persisting tension between Stoicism and the tradition of Augustinian anti-Stoic criticism, which held Stoicism to be a philosophy for the proud who denied their fallen condition. Concentrating on arguments in moral psychology surrounding the foundations of human sociability and self-love, Philosophic Pride details how the engagement with Roman Stoicism shaped early modern political philosophy and offers significant new interpretations of Lipsius and Rousseau together with fresh perspectives on the political thought of Hugo Grotius and Thomas Hobbes.
Philosophic Pride shows how the legacy of the Stoics played a vital role in European intellectual life in the early modern era.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36820
- 2012-01-01From Vienna to Chicago and Back: Essays on Intellectual History and Political Thought in Europe and America
- 2018-06-04Norman Geras's Political Thought from Marxism to Human Rights Controversy and Analysis
- 2018-04-12Guild and State European Political Thought from the Twelfth Century to the Present 1st Edition
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Marxism, Religion and Ideology: Themes from David McLellan (Routledge Studies in Social and Political Thought)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Crisis and Constitutionalism: Roman Political Thought from the Fall of the Republic to the Age of Revolution
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Crisis and Constitutionalism: Roman Political Thought from the Fall of the Republic to the Age of Revolution
- 2013-05-21Liberty and Property: A Social History of Western Political Thought from the Renaissance to Enlightenment
- 2011-12-31From Vienna to Chicago and Back: Essays on Intellectual History and Political Thought in Europe and America (repost)
- 2011-11-15The Primacy of the Political: A History of Political Thought from the Greeks to the French and American Revolutions
- 2011-05-22From Vienna to Chicago and Back: Essays on Intellectual History and Political Thought in Europe and America
- 2011-04-24"From Vienna to Chicago and Back: Essays on Intellectual History and Political Thought in Europe and America" (Repost)
- 2010-06-13Counter-Enlightenments: From the Eighteenth Century to the Present (Routledge Studies in Social and Political Thought)
- 2010-05-07From Vienna to Chicago and Back: Essays on Intellectual History and Political Thought in Europe and America
- 2019-11-22Commodity Frontiers and Global Capitalist Expansion: Social, Ecological and Political Implications from the Nineteenth Century to the Present Day (Palgrave Studies in Economic History)
- 2019-07-08* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read Political Order and Political Decay: From the Industrial Revolution to the Globalization of Democracy by Francis Fukuyama Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2019-02-26Beauvoir and Western Thought from Plato to Butler
- 2019-01-27Beauvoir and Western Thought from Plato to Butler
- 2018-12-20Red Pedagogy Native American Social and Political Thought
- 2018-11-21The Near and Distant God Poetry, Idealism and Religious Thought from Holderlin to Eliot
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.