Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2009-09-10. By anonymous.
By Reginald Horsman
Publisher: Harvard Univ Pr | 352 pages | 1981-12 | ISBN: 0674745728 | English | PDF | 16.49 MB
American myths about national character tend to overshadow the historical realities. Mr. Horsman's book is the first study to examine the origins of racialism in America and to show that the belief in white American superiority was firmly ensconced in the nation's ideology by 1850.
The author deftly chronicles the beginnings and growth of an ideology stressing race, basic stock, and attributes in the blood. He traces how this ideology shifted from the more benign views of the Founding Fathers, which embraced ideas of progress and the spread of republican institutions for all. He finds linkages between the new, racialist ideology in America and the rising European ideas of Anglo-Saxon, Teutonic, and scientific ideologies of the early nineteenth century. Most importantly, however, Horsman demonstrates that it was the merging of the Anglo-Saxon rhetoric with the experience of Americans conquering a continent that created a racialist philosophy. Two generations before the "new" immigrants began arriving in the late nineteenth century, Americans, in contact with blacks, Indians, and Mexicans, became vociferous racialists.
In sum, even before the Civil War, Americans had decided that peoples of large parts of this continent were incapable of creating or sharing in efficient, prosperous, democratic governments, and that American Anglo-Saxons could achieve unprecedented prosperity and power by the outward thrust of their racialism and commercial penetration of other lands. The comparatively benevolent view of the Founders of the Republic had turned into the quite malevolent ideology that other peoples could not be "regenerated" through the spread of free institutions.
- Ebooks list page : 3439
- 2020-12-05White Lies - Race and Uncertainty in the Twilight of American Religion
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Between Arab and White: Race and Ethnicity in the Early Syrian American Diaspora (American Crossroads)
- 2020-01-11Medical Bondage: Race, Gender, and the Origins of American Gynecology
- 2019-06-24Medical Bondage Race, Gender, and the Origins of American Gynecology [Audiobook]
- 2018-05-13Medical Bondage Race, Gender, and the Origins of American Gynecology
- 2021-09-16The Name Of War King Philip's War And The Origins Of American Identity [Audiobook]
- 2021-09-16The Name Of War King Philip's War And The Origins Of American Identity By Jill Le
- 2021-08-04American Crucible Race and Nation in the Twentieth Century
- 2021-06-19The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity [Audiobook]
- 2021-06-16The Name of War King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity [Audiobook]
- 2021-06-06The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity
- 2020-06-23The Common Cause: Creating Race and Nation in the American Revolution (Published by the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the University of North Carolina Press)
- 2020-02-03Manifest Destiny The Lewis and Clark Musical Adventure 2016 WEBRip x264-ION10
- 2020-02-02Manifest Destiny The Lewis and Clark Musical Adventure 2016 1080p WEBRip x264-RARBG
- 2019-11-22Manufacturing Advantage: War, the State, and the Origins of American Industry, 1776–1848 (Studies in Early American Economy and Society from the Library Company of Philadelphia) - Removed
- 2019-09-27Trade Secrets Intellectual Piracy and the Origins of American Industrial Power
- 2019-08-28Vindicating the Founders Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America
- 2019-03-10Manufacturing Advantage: War, the State, and the Origins of American Industry, 1776-1848 - Removed
- 2018-12-15Colonial Pathologies American Tropical Medicine, Race, and Hygiene in the Philippines
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.