Format: read online!
Posted on 2007-05-18, updated at 2007-05-27. By anonymous.
Remove MSN Messenger from XP
First of all you can try what Microsoft Suggests:
then you may try some more ways of removing MSN.
I am not responsible for the use or the misuse of this information.
Use at your own risk.
To remove MSN Messenger open your run box and copy/paste this:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Click OK, follow any instructions that may pop up, and and MSN Messenger will
uninstall! you should be rid of the little pain forever !
(Always easy to reload it if you decide you want it in the future.)
The following method works in Windows XP Professional, but
has not been tested on a system with SP1 installed. FYI, I've seen scripts that are
similar to this, but fail miserably, automatically deleting other much-needed
components! Better to do this slow and manually!
1. Exit MSN Messenger by right-clicking the MSN icon in the notification area, and
2. Add the following registry entries, both with a DWORD value of 1:
3. Open a command prompt by clicking Start/Run, then typing "command" and clicking OK.
4. Uninstall MSN Messenger by typing "rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %systemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove"
5. Uninstall the leftover installation information file by typing
"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection BLC.Remove 128 %systemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf"
6. Allow MSN Messenger to be displayed in the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog
in the future (if it pops up again!)
by typing "notepad.exe %systemRoot%\INF\sysoc.inf" and deleting the word "hide" from the
line that starts with "msmsgs=".
It MAY be possible to skip to this step directly and perform the uninstallation directly from
the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog, but that method MAY leave unwanted
components and has not been thoroughly tested.
7. Cross your fingers and reboot! You will probably get a message asking you to confirm the
removal of some leftover files. Click OK.
There Is a way to uninstall Messenger cleanly. I don't know if these steps apply for Home version.
1. Control PanelAdd Remove Programs click on "add emove windows components" on the left hand side.
In the box that pops up...scroll down to the bottom and highlight "windows messenger" then UNcheck the box.
2. Hit next and let the uninstall complete. (it's not a very obvious un-install) When it's, done make sure you
to RESTART WINDOWS! (the messenger icon will still be in the tray if you don't!)
Search for sysoc.inf. It should be located in the C:\windows\inf\........
and follow the excellent instructions given step by step by icons!
1. First, right click the Messenger icon in the system tray and click Exit.
2. Right click the Start button and click the Explore command to open the Windows Explorer.
3. In the Windows Explorer, expand the Program Files folder on the partition where your operating
system is installed (the partition that holds the WINDOWS directory) and right click the Messenger
folder and select Rename.
4. Rename the folder to MessengerDISABLED and press ENTER to commit the name change.
5. Restart the Computer. No more Windows Messenger
7th way and many thanks to ralph for the following:
You could also check out...
Download and run our small (22 kbyte) "ShootTheMessenger.exe" utility. It will display the current
status of your system's Messenger Service. The button near the bottom of its window will allow
you to set the service to whichever state ? running or disabled ? that you desire.
If, for any reason, you should ever choose to re-enable the Windows Messenger Service, simply
re-run ShootTheMessenger to do so.
You could also check out...
Download and run our small (22 kbyte) "ShootTheMessenger.exe" utility. It will display the current status of your system's Messenger Service. The button near the bottom of its window will allow you to set the service to whichever state ? running or disabled ? that you desire.
If, for any reason, you should ever choose to re-enable the Windows Messenger Service, simply re-run ShootTheMessenger to do so.
- Ebooks list page : 128
- 2013-05-05Barnicles' Computer Guides: Removing MSN Messenger from Windows XP
- 2018-11-20Credit Repair The Ultimate Guide System on How to Remove Negative Items from Your Report and Improve...
- 2017-11-05[PDF] How to Remove the Background from Any Picture the Easy Way
- 2017-05-15Remove annoying ads from YouTube, Facebook and other places
- 2010-06-07Remove a Person from a Photo with Photoshop CS5â€™s Content Aware Feature
- 2008-09-06Call Yahoo , Windows Messenger From Google Talk
- 2007-05-18How To Use You Gmail With Msn Messenger
- 2007-05-18Instructions For Removal Of Advertising In Msn Messenger
- 2007-05-18Msn Messenger
- 2007-05-18Turn MSN Messenger Display Pix into User Pix on XP
- 2011-11-26Rommel: Leadership Lessons from the Desert Fox (World Generals) - Charles Messenger
- 2020-05-31How To Remove Logos From Your Image
- 2020-05-28Make Money Online: How To Make Money Online! - 50 Ways To Make Money From Home Including Selling Niche Website Portfolios, Ebay, Fiverr, Blogging, Passive ... Income, Ebay Secrets, Affiliate Marketing)
- 2020-05-22Trick Yourself to Sleep - 222 Ways to Fall and Stay Asleep from the Science of Slu...
- 2020-05-15Trick Yourself to Sleep 222 Ways to Fall and Stay Asleep from the Science of Slu
- 2020-05-13The Made-from-Scratch Life: Simple Ways to Create a Natural Home
- 2020-05-12Sex and Marriage: How to Guide for Sex and Passion and Desire for Married Couples -Discover the 10 Ways to Turn Your Sex Life From Routine to Lustful ... Marriage Advice, Marriage Help) (Volume 1)
- 2020-04-20How to Remove Logos from Your Image
- 2020-04-20Arduino Fun with Light and Spectrometers: Fun and interesting ways to collect data from the Arduino using Excel
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.