Posted on 2021-08-25, by book24h.
English | 2021 | ISBN: 1780460996 | 241 pages | True PDF | 114.17 MB
River Planetintroduces readers to the epic geological history of the world's rivers, from the first drop of rain on the Earth to the modern environmental crisis.
The river journey begins with the first evidence of flowing water four billion years ago and continues with enormous rivers on the first supercontinents, after which terrestrial vegetation engineered new river forms in the Devonian period. The dramatic breakup of Pangea some 200 million years ago led to our familiar modern rivers as continents drifted and collided, mountains rose, and plains tilted. Among many remarkable cases, the book explores the rapid carving of the Grand Canyon, the reversal of the Amazon, and the lost rivers of Antarctica. There are gigantic meltwater floods from the Ice Age, which may be linked to accounts of the Deluge, and river systems drowned by rising sea level as the ice melted. Early human civilizations sought to control rivers through agriculture and irrigation, leading in the nineteenth century to hydraulic mining, the rise of big dams, and the burial of rivers below cities such as London. Rivers are now endangered worldwide, and the book celebrates people who preserve rivers around the world, bringing hope to river ecosystems and communities.
River Planetis designed to be accessible for a general audience ranging from advanced high-school students to mature readers. The book will also interest professional scientists and students of geology, geography, and environmental science.
Visit My Profile News Here : https://www.ebookee.com/user/book24h
- Ebooks list page : 49154
- 2017-11-24[PDF] The Pterosaurs: From Deep Time
- 2017-01-06[PDF] The Pterosaurs: From Deep Time
- 2022-08-02108 Stitches Loose Threads, Ripping Yarns, and the Darndest Characters from My Time in the Game - Removed
- 2021-05-26Notes from Deep Time A Journey Through Our Past and Future Worlds [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-15Media Archaeology and Intermedial Performance Deep Time of the Theatre (Avant-Gardes in Performance)
- 2019-01-10Media Archaeology and Intermedial Performance Deep Time of the Theatre (Avant-Gardes in Performance)
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Deep Time of the Media: Toward an Archaeology of Hearing and Seeing by Technical Means (Electronic Culture: History, Theory, and Practice)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Deep Time of the Media: Toward an Archaeology of Hearing and Seeing by Technical Means (Electronic Culture: History, Theory, and Practice)
- 2013-02-25California's Best Fly Fishing: Premier Streams and Rivers from Northern California to the Eastern Sierra
- 2011-09-27The Modern Volunteer Army Program: The Benning Experiment, 1970-1972
- 2022-11-30Water Beings From Nature Worship to the Environmental Crisis
- 2021-08-09Feibel Trading - Multiple Time Frames: The Modern Edge (MTF)
- 2021-08-04The United States and the Global Economy From Bretton Woods to the Current Crisis
- 2021-03-10A History and Philosophy of Sport and Physical Education: From Ancient Civilizations to the Modern World 7th Edition
- 2021-02-12A History and Philosophy of Sport and Physical Education: From Ancient Civilizations to the Modern World 7th Edition
- 2021-01-28A History and Philosophy of Sport and Physical Education From Ancient Civilizations to the Modern Wo...
- 2020-12-22The Story of Yoga From Ancient India to the Modern West [Audiobook]
- 2020-12-13A History of Market Performance From Ancient Babylonia to the Modern World
- 2018-11-23Reciprocity in Human Societies From Ancient Times to the Modern Welfare State
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.