Posted on 2013-07-31. By anonymous.
English | ISBN: 1846685672 | 2012 | EPUB | 336 pages | 2,9 MB
Why is there an 'h' in ghost? William Caxton, inventor of the printing press and his Flemish employees are to blame: without a dictionary or style guide to hand in fifteenth century Bruges, the typesetters simply spelled it the way it sounded to their foreign ears, and it stuck. Seventy-five per cent of English spelling is regular but twenty-five per cent is complicated, and in Spell It Out, our foremost linguistics expert David Crystal extends a helping hand to the confused and curious alike. He unearths the stories behind the rogue words that confound us, and explains why these peculiarities entered the mainstream, in an epic journey taking in sixth century monks, French and Latin upstarts, the Industrial Revolution and the internet. By learning the history and the principles, Crystal shows how the spellings that break all the rules become easier to get right.
- Ebooks list page : 22836
- 2012-09-19Download Spell It Out The Singular Story of English Spelling by David Crystal PDF - Removed
- 2012-06-03The Story of a North Sea Air Station
- 2012-05-17Dominator: The Story of the Consolidated B-32 Bomber
- 2011-09-10The Modern Pictorial English Dictionary ( )
- 2010-12-25Righting the Mother Tongue: From Olde English to Email, the Tangled Story of English Spelling (repost)
- 2009-02-09Righting the Mother Tongue: From Olde English to Email, the Tangled Story of English Spelling
- 2019-01-31The Story of English in 100 Words
- 2019-01-15The Story of English in 100 Words
- 2018-10-12England The Biography The Story of English Cricket
- 2018-08-08England The Biography The Story of English Cricket
- 2018-08-05England: The Biography: The Story of English Cricket
- 2018-07-31The Story of English (2nd Edition)
- 2017-10-24[PDF] The Story of English: How the English language conquered the world
- 2017-10-18[PDF] The History of English Spelling
- 2013-08-24The History of English Spelling By Christopher Upward, George Davidson
- 2013-08-13The History of English Spelling
- 2013-06-06David Crystal - The Story of English in 100 Words - Removed
- 2013-04-21The Story of English in 100 Words (Audiobook) By David Crystal, read by the author
- 2013-04-18The Story of English in 100 Words (Repost)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.