Posted on 2018-10-11, by manhneovn.
Hughes gives moving details about his life, from his time in England as a child while his father was in action in France during World War I, to time abroad in the army during World War II, to events during his twenty-six-year tenure on the bench. His passion for family and for law shine through his account. Even after retirement, he was still very much involved in the law and was appointed to lead the Royal Commission investigating child abuse at the Mount Cashel Orphanage in Newfoundland. Steering the Course not only documents a life but provides a poignant first-hand account of this century. His recollections of the events and changes that this country has undergone during the last eighty years are a stirring reminder of an important part of our recent past. From the book: "My earliest recollection was of the first daylight air raid on London when my mother and I were living in St John's Wood. I remember the explosions that accompanied the bombing of Selfridge's in Oxford Street and I remember clearly that the taxi from which we were hastily removed had yellow facings on its doors." "On New Year's Day 1944 misery and frustration prevailed. Slit trenches, the natural refuge and even sleeping place for soldiers in combat, were full of water ... George Renison and I took a bottle of Scotch whisky to the command vehicle of the First Brigade ... The bottle, which went only once around the company, was a reminder of the celebrations of other days and its like had not been seen for weeks."
- Ebooks list page : 37401
- 2020-07-03The Dependent A Memoir of Marriage and the Military
- 2020-06-27The Early Air War in the Pacific Ten Months That Changed the Course of World War II
- 2020-06-23All the Way to the Tigers A Memoir - Removed
- 2020-06-18Indestructible One Man's Rescue Mission That Changed the Course of WWII
- 2020-06-08My Father, the Pornographer: A Memoir
- 2020-05-28Indestructible One Man's Rescue Mission That Changed the Course of WWII
- 2020-05-24The Art of Memoir
- 2020-05-24Wife of the Life of the Party: A Memoir
- 2020-05-22Indirect Action: Schizophrenia, Epilepsy, AIDS, and the Course of Health Activism
- 2020-05-15Tiger Tracks - The Classic Panzer Memoir
- 2020-05-06Ryan Serhant - The Course
- 2020-05-05Ryan Serhant – Sell It Like SERHANT – The Course
- 2020-05-04My Forex League - The Course
- 2020-05-02WWII Codebreakers and Spies: How British Intelligence & Special Operations Changed the Course of History
- 2020-04-29Stay the Rising Sun: The True Story of USS Lexington, Her Valiant Crew, and Changing the Course of World War II
- 2020-04-26Girl in the Dark: A Memoir
- 2020-04-25I Left It on the Mountain: A Memoir
- 2020-04-21Steering the Craft: A Twenty-First-Century Guide to Sailing the Sea of Story
- 2020-04-20Love Among the Ruins: A Memoir of Life and Love in Hamburg, 1945
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.