Taking on Theodore Roosevelt: How One Senator Defied the President on Brownsville and Shook American Politics by Harry Lembeck
Posted on 2018-05-23, by manhneovn.
In August 1906, black soldiers stationed in Brownsville, Texas, were accused of going on a lawless rampage in which shots were fired, one man was killed, and another wounded. Because the perpetrators could never be positively identified, President Theodore Roosevelt took the highly unusual step of discharging without honor all one hundred sixty-seven members of the black battalion on duty the night of the shooting.
This book investigates the controversial action of an otherwise much-lauded president, the challenge to his decision from a senator of his own party, and the way in which Roosevelt's uncompromising stance affected African American support of the party of Lincoln.
Using primary sources to reconstruct the events, attorney Harry Lembeck begins at the end when Senator Joseph Foraker is honored by the black community in Washington, DC, for his efforts to reverse Roosevelt's decision. Lembeck highlights Foraker's courageous resistance to his own president. In addition, he examines the larger context of racism in the era of Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Du Bois, pointing out that Roosevelt treated discrimination against the Japanese in the West much differently. He also notes often-ignored evidence concerning the role of Roosevelt's illegitimate cousin in the president's decision, the possibility that Foraker and Roosevelt had discussed a compromise, and other hitherto overlooked facts about the case.
Sixty-seven years after the event, President Richard Nixon finally undid Roosevelt's action by honorably discharging the men of the Brownsville Battalion. But, as this thoroughly researched and engrossing narrative shows, the damage done to both Roosevelt's reputation and black support for the Republican Party lingers to this day.
- Ebooks list page : 36204
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Taking on Theodore Roosevelt: How One Senator Defied the President on Brownsville and Shook American Politics
- 2018-06-21Raising World Changers in a Changing World How One Family Discovered the Beauty of Sacrifice and the Joy of Giving
- 2018-06-08Raising World Changers in a Changing World How One Family Discovered the Beauty of Sacrifice and the Joy of Giving
- 2018-05-31Raising World Changers in a Changing World How One Family Discovered the Beauty of Sacrifice and the Joy of Giving [Audiobook]
- 2012-01-06Why Iceland?: How One of the World's Smallest Countries Became the Meltdown's Biggest Casualty
- 2021-02-19Log Cabin Years: How One Couple Built a Home From Scratch and Created a Life
- 2021-02-08Log Cabin Years: How One Couple Built a Home From Scratch and Created a Life
- 2021-01-21Log Cabin Years How One Couple Built a Home From Scratch and Created a Life
- 2020-10-19How to Write One Song: Loving the Things We Create and How They Love Us Back [Audiobook]
- 2020-10-17How to Write One Song Loving the Things We Create and How They Love Us Back [Audiobook]
- 2020-07-27The Liar's Ball: The Extraordinary Saga of How One Building Broke the World's Toughest Tycoons
- 2020-05-11The Close Encounters Man - How One Man Made the World Believe in UFOs
- 2020-02-13The Close Encounters Man: How One Man Made the World Believe in UFOs
- 2019-07-17The Liar's Ball The Extraordinary Saga of How One Building Broke the World's Toughest Tycoons
- 2019-06-25Lifehacked How One Family from the Slums Made Millions Selling Apps
- 2019-06-13Read Online Hidden: Betrayed, Exploited and Forgotten. How One Boy Overcame the Odds. by Cathy Glass in PDF / Epub
- 2018-12-12DoCoMo--Japan's Wireless Tsunami How One Mobile Telecom Created a New Market and Became a Global For...
- 2018-09-28Theodore Roosevelt on Bravery Lessons from the Most Courageous Leader of the Twentieth Century
- 2018-07-15When the Lights Went Out How One Brawl Ended Hockey's Cold War and Changed the Game
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.