Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-03-10. By anonymous.
Gordon Corera, "The Art of Betrayal: The Secret History of MI6: Life and Death in the British Secret Service"
ISBN: 1605983985 | 2013 | EPUB/MOBI | 528 pages | 3 MB/2 MB
From Berlin to the Congo, from Moscow to the back streets of London, these are the stories of the agents on the front lines of British intelligence. And the truth is often more remarkable than fiction.
MI6 has been cloaked in secrecy and shrouded in myth since it was created a hundred years ago. Our understanding of what it is to be a spy has been largely defined by the fictional worlds of Ian Fleming and John le Carre. Gordon Corera provides a unique and unprecedented insight into this secret world and the reality that lies behind the fiction. He tells the story of how the secret service has changed since the end of the Second World War and, by focusing on the people and the relationships that lie at the heart of espionage, illustrates the danger, the drama, the intrigue, and the moral ambiguities that come with working for British intelligence.
From the defining period of the early Cold War through to the modern day, MI6 has undergone a dramatic transformation from a gung-ho, amateurish organisation to its modern, no less controversial, incarnation. Gordon Corera reveals the triumphs and disasters along the way. The grand dramas of the Cold War, the rise and fall of the Berlin Wall, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the 11 September 2001 attacks, and the Iraq War are the backdrop for the individual spies whose stories form the centrepiece of the narrative. And some of the individuals featured here, in turn, helped shape the course of those events. Corera draws on the first-hand accounts of those who have spied, lied, and in some cases nearly died in service of the state. They range from the spymasters to the agents they controlled to their sworn enemies. And the truth is often more remarkable than the fiction.
- Ebooks list page : 21567
- 2012-05-16Mr.Churchill's Tank: The British Infantry Tank Mark IV (Schiffer Military History)
- 2012-06-08Hunters: The Hawker Hunter in British Military Service
- 2012-06-08The British Tanks 1915-1919
- 2011-10-20The National Weather Service Modernization and Associated Restructuring: A Retrospective Assessment
- 2020-12-19The Mansion of Happiness A History of Life and Death [Audiobook]
- 2020-12-10The Mansion of Happiness A History of Life and Death
- 2020-11-23The Life and Death of Ancient Cities: A Natural History (PDF)
- 2020-11-23The Nonsense of Kant and Lewis Carroll: Unexpected Essays on Philosophy, Art, Life, and Death
- 2020-11-19The Life and Death of Ancient Cities - A Natural History
- 2020-06-14The Toltec Art of Life and Death: A Story of Discovery
- 2019-11-22Life and Death in the Gombe Chimpanzees: Skeletal Analysis as an Insight into Life History (Developments in Primatology: Progress and Prospects)
- 2019-01-15The Toltec Art of Life and Death [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-11The Toltec Art of Life and Death [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-03The Toltec Art of Life and Death Low Price CD
- 2018-12-19The Toltec Art of Life and Death [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-23[PDF] The Mansion of Happiness: A History of Life and Death
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Life and Death: Art and the Body in Contemporary China
- 2017-10-10[PDF] The Civilization of the Middle Ages: A Completely Revised and Expanded Edition of Medieval History, the Life and Death of a Civilization
- 2017-01-17[PDF] The Mansion of Happiness: A History of Life and Death
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.