Posted on 2018-10-11, by nokia241186.
Michael Scott Moore, Corey Snow (Narrator), "The Desert and the Sea: 977 Days Captive on the Somali Pirate Coast"
ASIN: B07DDNWDBM, ISBN: 1538552507 | 2018 | kbps | ~12:07:00 | 349 MB
Michael Scott Moore, a journalist and the author of Sweetness and Blood, incorporates personal narrative and rigorous investigative journalism in this profound and revelatory memoir of his three-year captivity by Somali pirates - a riveting, thoughtful, and emotionally resonant exploration of foreign policy, religious extremism, and the costs of survival.
In January 2012, having covered a Somali pirate trial in Hamburg for Spiegel Online International - and funded by a grant from the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting - Michael Scott Moore traveled to the Horn of Africa to write about piracy and ways to end it. In a terrible twist of fate, Moore himself was kidnapped and subsequently held captive by Somali pirates. Subjected to conditions that break even the strongest spirits - physical injury, starvation, isolation, terror - Moore's survival is a testament to his indomitable strength of mind. In September 2014, after 977 days, he walked free when his ransom was put together by the help of several US and German institutions, friends, colleagues, and his strong-willed mother.
Yet Moore's own struggle is only part of the story: The Desert and the Sea falls at the intersection of reportage, memoir, and history. Caught between Muslim pirates, the looming threat of Al-Shabaab, and the rise of ISIS, Moore observes the worlds that surrounded him - the economics and history of piracy; the effects of post-colonialism; the politics of hostage negotiation and ransom; while also conjuring the various faces of Islam - and places his ordeal in the context of the larger political and historical issues.
A sort of Catch-22 meets Black Hawk Down, The Desert and the Sea is written with dark humor, candor, and a journalist's clinical distance and eye for detail. Moore offers an intimate and otherwise inaccessible view of life as we cannot fathom it, brilliantly weaving his own experience as a hostage with the social, economic, religious, and political factors creating it. The Desert and the Sea is wildly compelling and a book that will take its place next to titles like Den of Lions and Even Silence Has an End.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 37401
- 2018-10-01The Desert and the Sea 977 Days Captive on the Somali Pirate Coast
- 2012-03-07Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game 3) (Audiobook) By Sara Shepard, read by Cassandra Morris
- 2011-12-30The Passions: Philosophy and the Intelligence of Emotions (Audiobook) - Removed
- 2011-12-29The Lives and Works of the English Romantic Poets (Audiobook) - Removed
- 2011-10-14Increasing National Resilience to Hazards and Disasters: The Perspective from the Gulf Coast of Louisiana and Mississippi
- 2019-07-19 !(Deluxe) - Why You Should Read The Desert and the Blade (Emberverse, #12) by S.M. Stirling Online or Download [^PDF ^MOBI ^EPUB] - Removed
- 2019-03-27The Philistines and Other Sea Peoples in Text and Archaeology
- 2019-01-29By Steppe, Desert, and Ocean: The Birth of Eurasia (True EPUB)
- 2019-01-25Russian-European Relations in the Balkans and Black Sea Region Great Power Identity and the Idea of - Removed
- 2019-01-15The NEBI Yearbook 2000 North European and Baltic Sea Integration - Removed
- 2019-01-11The NEBI Yearbook 2000 North European and Baltic Sea Integration
- 2019-01-10Russian-European Relations in the Balkans and Black Sea Region Great Power Identity and the Idea ...
- 2018-12-21The NEBI Yearbook 2000 North European and Baltic Sea Integration
- 2018-10-10Steel and Ice The U-Boat Battle in the Arctic and Black Sea 1941-45
- 2018-09-24Simple Guide to the Ketogenic Diet: how to be lean, energized and feel great: 30-days meal plan and 25 delicious keto recipes
- 2018-08-15Running From Fear Walking Into the Desert and Finding Life Again
- 2018-06-07The Desert and Its Seed
- 2018-05-18The Desert and Its Seed
- 2018-01-22[PDF] The Philistines and Other Sea Peoples in Text and Archaeology (Archaeology and Biblical Studies) (Society of Biblical Literature (Numbered))
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.