Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2014-04-08. By anonymous.
English | 2011 | ISBN: 0748641874 | ISBN-13: 9780748641871 | 256 pages | PDF | 1,6 MB
Why, in the years around 1920, did the concept of 'minority' suddenly spring to prominence in public affairs worldwide? Within a decade of World War One, the term became fundamental to public and academic understandings of national and international politics, law, and society: 'minorities', and 'majorities' with them, were taken to be an objective reality, both in the present and the past.
This book uses a study of Syria under the French mandate to show what historical developments led people to start describing themselves and others as 'minorities'. Despite French attempts to create territorial, political, and legal divisions, the mandate period saw the consolidation of the nation-state form in Syria: a trend towards a coherent national territory with fixed borders, uniform state authority within them, and the struggle to control that state played out in the language of nationalism - developments in the post-Ottoman Levant that closely paralleled those in contemporary Europe, after the demise of the Austro-Hungarian and tsarist empires. Through close attention to what changed in French mandate Syria, and what those changes meant, the book argues for a careful rethinking of a term too often used as an objective description of reality.
- Ebooks list page : 26041
- 2017-12-30[PDF] The Emergence of Minorities in the Middle East: The Politics of Community in French Mandate Syria
- 2017-06-13The Emergence Of Minorities In The Middle East The Politics Of Community In French Mandate Syria
- 2011-11-21Muslim Fortresses in the Levant: Between Crusaders and Mongols (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East) - Removed
- 2011-08-12Muslim Fortresses in the Levant: Between Crusaders and Mongols (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East) - Removed
- 2019-11-23India's Low-Skilled Migration to the Middle East: Policies, Politics and Challenges
- 2011-11-21The Politics of Child Sexual Abuse: Emotion, Social Movements, and the State
- 2018-07-14Kropotkin The Politics of Community
- 2018-07-11Kropotkin: The Politics of Community
- 2018-06-03Kropotkin The Politics of Community
- 2018-01-14[PDF] The Politics of Community Building in Urban China (Chinese Worlds)
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Modernist Fiction, Cosmopolitanism and the Politics of Community
- 2016-12-22The Politics of Community Building in Urban China
- 2009-05-11The Sense of Community in French Caribbean Fiction
- 2014-05-01The Emergence of Minorities in the Middle East
- 2011-12-31United States and the Middle East: 1914 to 9/11 (Audiobook) - Removed
- 2011-07-20Visible Language: Inventions of Writing in the Ancient Middle East and Beyond (Oriental Institute Museum Publications)
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Minorities in the Middle East: A History of Struggle and Self-Expression
- 2012-04-21Minorities in the Middle East: A History of Struggle and Self-Expression
- 2011-05-21The Middle East: The Impact of Generational Change (The Moshe Dayan Center for Middle Eastern and African Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.