Author: Michelle O'Callaghan
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
Posted on 2011-10-19, by sharebookfree.
The English Wits: Literature and Sociability in Early Modern England
Michelle O'Callaghan | Cambridge University Press | 2011-06-19 | 244 pages | English | PDF
In the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries the Inns of Court and fashionable London taverns developed a culture of clubbing, urban sociability and wit. The convivial societies that emerged created rituals to define social identities and to engage in literary play and political discussion. Michelle O'Callaghan argues that the lawyer-wits, including John Hoskyns, in company with authors such as John Donne, Ben Jonson and Thomas Coryate, consciously reinvigorated humanist traditions of learned play. Their experiments with burlesque, banquet literature, parody and satire resulted in a volatile yet creative dialogue between civility and licence, and between pleasure and the violence of scurrilous words. The wits inaugurated a mode of literary fellowship that shaped the history and literature of sociability in the seventeenth century. This study will provide many insights for historians and literary scholars of the period.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 14570
- 2010-10-31Michelle O'Callaghan, "The English Wits: Literature and Sociability in Early Modern England"
- 2010-05-27The English Wits: Literature and Sociability in Early Modern England
- 2020-05-07Alien Albion: Literature and Immigration in Early Modern England
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Literature and Favoritism in Early Modern England
- 2010-07-02Literature and Favoritism in Early Modern England
- 2019-11-07Heresy, Literature and Politics in Early Modern English Culture
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Treason and the State: Law, Politics and Ideology in the English Civil War (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History)
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Shock of the Ancient: Literature and History in Early Modern France
- 2016-12-24The Shock of the Ancient Literature and History in Early Modern France
- 2011-07-11Theatre, Finance and Society in Early Modern England (Cambridge Studies in Renaissance Literature and Culture) (English and English Edition)
- 2010-05-08Treason and the State: Law, Politics and Ideology in the English Civil War (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History)
- 2018-12-14Melancholy and the Care of the Soul Religion, Moral Philosophy and Madness in Early Modern England
- 2018-03-20Witchcraft, the Devil, and Emotions in Early Modern England
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Oedipus and the Devil: Witchcraft, Religion and Sexuality in Early Modern Europe
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Women, Food Exchange, and Governance in Early Modern England (Early Modern Literature in History)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Gondi: Family Strategy and Survival in Early Modern France
- 2014-06-12"Oedipus and the Devil: Witchcraft, Religion and Sexuality in Early Modern Europe" (Repost)
- 2014-05-25Melancholy And the Care of the Soul: Religion, Moral Philosophy And Madness in Early Modern England
- 2014-03-06Melancholy, Medicine and Religion in Early Modern England: Reading 'The Anatomy of Melancholy'
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.