The Expendable: The true story of Patrol Wing 10, PT Squadron 3, and a Navy Corpsman who refused to surrender when the Philippine Islands fell to Japan
Author: John Floyd
Posted on 2021-07-15, by temrick.
Finalist, Eric Hoffer Book Awards. Winner, Nonfiction category, Arizona Authors’ Association 2020 Literary Contest. Amazon #1 Amazon Best Seller in multiple categories.
"A riveting page turner. As a retired Navy combat Hospital Corpsman I can appreciate this story from leaving the farm,to Great lakes to corpsman basic to combat. A fantastic story." - Don Colling - Amazon Reviewer
The Expendable is a captivating, true story from the opening months of WWII in the Pacific. As smoke billows skyward from Pearl Harbor, Japan throws its full military might against the outnumbered and under-equipped Filipino forces. Hart sends his U.S. Asiatic Fleet south, to the safety of Allied waters. When the remnants of PBY Patrol Wing 10 depart with the fleet, Charles Beckner, corpsman for Squadron 102, is left behind with no apparent avenue for escape. Under relentless pressure from General Homma's troops and air forces, the American-Filipino troops retreat to the tip of the Bataan Peninsula. Sick with malaria and dysentery and nearly out of food and ammunition, surrender is imminent for those who survive. Charles wrangles a transfer to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3 as machine gunner and corpsman on PT-34. After two months of engaging enemy forces along the Bataan coast, Squadron 3 is tasked with a critical, covert mission that once more leaves Charles stranded, this time on the southern Philippine island of Cebu. As the Japanese noose tightens, Charles joins other sailors and soldiers preparing for guerrilla resistance from the interior mountains of Mindanao Island. His plans are interrupted by another assignment, one that will unexpectedly reunite him with crewmen of his old seaplane squadron. With advancing Japanese troops only minutes away, there is one possibility for escape. It is risky, and failure will be fatal.
"We are losing our World War II veterans by the thousands daily and along with them we all too often lose their stories. John Floyd has done an admirable job of preserving the stories of his father-in-law in a fast-paced and highly readable narrative; he knows his military history as well as his family’s." -Walter Borneman, Author of The Admirals and MacArthur At War.
- Ebooks list page : 48487
- 2011-11-28How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's ... Our World and Everything in It
- 2011-08-23How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's ... Our World and Everything in It
- 2022-07-16The True Story
- 2022-03-23A Kim Jong-Il Production The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young [Audiobook]
- 2022-03-23The Last Slave Ship The True Story of How Clotilda Was Found, Her Descendants, and an Extraordinary Reckoning [Audiobook]
- 2022-01-22The Last Slave Ship: The True Story of How Clotilda Was Found, Her Descendants, and an Extraordinary Reckoning
- 2021-12-24The Nine Lives of John Aslin True Story of an Indigenous Man Imprisoned 37 Years and Counting for Nonviolent Crime [Audiobook]
- 2021-12-18A Kim Jong Il Production: The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young [Audiobook]
- 2021-09-16Thunder Dog The True Story Of A Blind Man, His Guide Dog, And The Triumph Of Trus
- 2021-03-02The Secret Rooms: A True Story of a Haunted Castle, a Plotting Duchess, and a Family Secret
- 2021-01-02The Perfect Father: The True Story of Chris Watts, His All American Family, and a Shocking Murder
- 2020-07-23A Kim Jong-Il Production: The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator's Rise to Power
- 2020-05-13Deadly Vows: The True Story of a Zealous Preacher, A Polygamous Union and a Savage Murder
- 2020-03-16The Perfect Father: The True Story of Chris Watts, His All-American Family, and a Shocking Murder
- 2019-05-10The Forgotten Child The powerful true story of a boy abandoned as a baby and left to die - Removed
- 2019-03-25The Forgotten Child The powerful true story of a boy abandoned as a baby and left to die - Removed
- 2019-01-03Many Lives, Many Masters The True Story of a Prominent Psychiatrist, His Young Patient, and the Past-Life Therapy That Changed Both Their Lives
- 2018-09-22In a Far Country The True Story of a Mission, a Marriage, a Murder, and the Remarkable Reindeer Rescue of 1898
- 2018-07-31In a Far Country The True Story of a Mission, a Marriage, a Murder, and the Remarkable Reindeer Rescue of 1898
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.