The Fragments of Parmenides: A Critical Text With Introduction and Translation, the Ancient Testimonia and a Commentary
Posted on 2013-06-19. By anonymous.
English | 2009 | ISBN: 1930972679 | ISBN-13: 9781930972674 | 476 pages | PDF | 3,3 MB
This book is a revised and expanded version of A.H. Coxon's full critical edition of the extant remains of Parmenides of Eleaâ€”the fifth-century B.C. philosopher by many considered "one of the greatest and most astonishing thinkers of all times." (Karl Popper)
Coxon's presentation of the complete ancient evidence for Parmenides and his comprehensive examination of the fragments, unsurpassed to this day, have proven invaluable to our understanding of the Eleatic since the book's first publication in 1986. This edition, edited by Richard McKirahan and with a new preface by Malcolm Schofield, is released on the 100th anniversary of Coxon's birth.
This new edition for the first time includes English translations of the testimonia and of any Ancient Greek throughout the book, as well as an English/Greek glossary by Richard McKirahan, and revisions by the late author himself. The text consists of Coxon's collations of the relevant folios of manuscripts of Sextus Empiricus, Proclus and Simplicius and includes all extant fragments, a commentary, the testimonia, a complete list of sources, linguistic parallels from both earlier and later authors, and the fullest critical apparatus that has appeared since Dielsâ€™ Poetarum Philosophorum Fragmenta (1901). The collection of testimonia includes the philosophical discussions of Parmenides by Plato, Aristotle and the Neoplatonists, most of which had been omitted by Diels. The introduction discusses the history of the text, the language and form of the poem, Parmenidesâ€™ use and understanding of the verb â€˜to beâ€™, his place in the history of earlier and later philosophy and the biographical tradition. In the commentary Coxon deals in detail with both the language and the subject matter of the poem and pays full attention to Parmenidesâ€™ account of the physical world. The appendix relates later Eleatic arguments to those of Parmenides.
- Ebooks list page : 22513
- 2010-03-26Charles Wesley - The Sermons of Charles Wesley: A Critical Edition with Introduction and Notes
- 2011-06-01Second Baruch: A Critical Edition of the Syriac Text: With Greek and Latin Fragments, English Translation
- 2019-12-12A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking with Statistics and the Scientific Method - Removed
- 2012-01-04The Art and Thought of Heraclitus: A New Arrangement and Translation of the Fragments with Literary and Philosophical Commentary - Heraclitus - Removed
- 2011-11-16The Art and Thought of Heraclitus: A New Arrangement and Translation of the Fragments with Literary and Philosophical Commentary - Removed
- 2011-10-20The treasures of Nomadic Tribes in South Russia
- 2010-11-04Anna A. Novokhatko - The Invectives of Sallust and Cicero: Critical Edition with Introduction, Translation, and Commentary
- 2010-06-13The Dead Sea Genesis Apocryphon: A New Text and Translation with Introduction and Special Treatment of Columns 13-17
- 2019-10-27Resolve 15 | 16 Compositing 3D Text with Fusion and Color Tab
- 2019-10-09Resolve 15 16 Compositing 3D Text with Fusion and Color Tab
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Survey of the Almagest: With Annotation and New Commentary by Alexander Jones (Sources and Studies in the History of Mathematics and Physical Sciences) - Removed
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Ruth: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary (The Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries)
- 2013-02-27A Survey of the Almagest: With Annotation and New Commentary by Alexander Jones [Repost]
- 2012-06-04The Ancient Alien Question
- 2011-05-07Olaf Pedersen, Alexander Jones, "A Survey of the Almagest: With Annotation and New Commentary by Alexander Jones" (repost)
- 2011-02-05A Survey of the Almagest: With Annotation and New Commentary by Alexander Jones (repost)
- 2011-01-12A Survey of the Almagest: With Annotation and New Commentary (repost)
- 2010-11-20A Survey of the Almagest: With Annotation and New Commentary by Alexander Jones
- 2010-11-17A Survey of the Almagest: With Annotation and New Commentary by Alexander Jones
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.