Posted on 2020-10-17, by nokia241186.
Emma Rothschild | 2012 | ISBN: 0691148953 | English | 496 pages | ePUB,AZW3 | 5 MB
They were abolitionists, speculators, slave owners, government officials, and occasional politicians. They were observers of the anxieties and dramas of empire. And they were from one family. The Inner Life of Empires tells the intimate history of the Johnstonesfour sisters and seven brothers who lived in Scotland and around the globe in the fast-changing eighteenth century. Piecing together their voyages, marriages, debts, and lawsuits, and examining their ideas, sentiments, and values, renowned historian Emma Rothschild illuminates a tumultuous period that created the modern economy, the British Empire, and the philosophical Enlightenment.
One of the sisters joined a rebel army, was imprisoned in Edinburgh Castle, and escaped in disguise in 1746. Her younger brother was a close friend of Adam Smith and David Hume. Another brother was fluent in Persian and Bengali, and married to a celebrated poet. He was the owner of a slave known only as "Bell or Belinda," who journeyed from Calcutta to Virginia, was accused in Scotland of infanticide, and was the last person judged to be a slave by a court in the British isles. In Grenada, India, Jamaica, and Florida, the Johnstones embodied the connections between European, American, and Asian empires. Their family history offers insights into a time when distinctions between the public and private, home and overseas, and slavery and servitude were in constant flux.
Based on multiple archives, documents, and letters, The Inner Life of Empires looks at one family's complex story to describe the origins of the modern political, economic, and intellectual world.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 44937
- 2017-12-06[PDF] The Inner Life of Empires: An Eighteenth-Century History
- 2012-08-16The Inner Life of Empires: An Eighteenth-Century History [Repost]
- 2012-01-01The Inner Life of Empires: An Eighteenth-Century History
- 2011-09-12The Inner Life of Empires: An Eighteenth-Century History
- 2012-03-16Heme Biology: The Secret Life of Heme in Regulating Diverse Biological Processes By Li Zhang
- 2012-03-16The Secret Life of Movies: Schizophrenic and Shamanic Journeys in American Cinema By Jason Horsley
- 2011-12-02The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City
- 2011-08-30The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City
- 2010-06-24The Decline of Life: Old Age in Eighteenth-Century England (Cambridge Studies in Population, Economy and Society in Past Time)
- 2020-04-24The Inner Life of the Dying Person (End-of-Life Care: A Series)
- 2020-04-21The Post-Critical Kant: Understanding the Critical Philosophy through the Opus Postumum (Routledge Studies in Eighteenth-Century Philosophy)
- 2020-02-07The Inner Life of Cats: The Science and Secrets of Our Mysterious Feline Companions
- 2019-01-24The Cinematic Eighteenth Century History, Culture, and Adaptation
- 2019-01-10The Cinematic Eighteenth Century History, Culture, and Adaptation
- 2018-12-27The Cinematic Eighteenth Century History, Culture, and Adaptation
- 2018-11-28Light on Enlightenment Revolutionary Teachings on the Inner Life
- 2018-10-29The Origins of Jewish Secularization in Eighteenth-Century Europe
- 2018-10-17Embodiment and the inner life Cognition and Consciousness in the Space of Possible Minds
- 2018-09-21Expecting The Inner Life of Pregnancy
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.