[share_ebook] The Politics of Necessity: Community Organizing and Democracy in South Africa (Critical Human Rights)
Author: Elke Zuern
Publisher: University Of Wisconsin Press
Posted on 2011-12-29, by sharebookfree.
The Politics of Necessity: Community Organizing and Democracy in South Africa (Critical Human Rights)
Elke Zuern | University Of Wisconsin Press | 2011 | 264 | English | PDF
The end of apartheid in South Africa broke down political barriers, extending to all races the formal rights of citizenship, including the right to participate in free elections and parliamentary democracy. But South Africa remains one of the most economically polarized nations in the world. In The Politics of Necessity Elke Zuern forcefully argues that working toward greater socio-economic equalityâ€”access to food, housing, land, jobsâ€”is crucial to achieving a successful and sustainable democracy.
Â Â Â Drawing on interviews with local residents and activists in South Africaâ€™s impoverished townships during more than a decade of dramatic political change, Zuern tracks the development of community organizing and reveals the shifting challenges faced by poor citizens. Under apartheid, township residents began organizing to press the government to address the basic material necessities of the poor and expanded their demands to include full civil and political rights. While the movement succeeded in gaining formal political rights, democratization led to a new government that instituted neo-liberal economic reforms and sought to minimize protest. In discouraging dissent and failing to reduce economic inequality, South Africaâ€™s new democracy has continued to disempower the poor.
Â Â Â By comparing movements in South Africa to those in other African and Latin American states, this book identifies profound challenges to democratization. Zuern asserts the fundamental indivisibility of all human rights, showing how protest movements that call attention to socio-economic demands, though often labeled a threat to democracy, offer significant opportunities for modern democracies to evolve into systems of rule that empower all citizens.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 16544
- 2011-09-06The Politics of Necessity: Community Organizing and Democracy in South Africa (Critical Human Rights)
- 2013-04-01The Politics of Necessity: Community Organizing and Democracy in South Africa
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Architect and the Scaffold: Evolution and Education in South Africa (African Human Genome Initiative series)
- 2011-08-04The Architect and the Scaffold: Evolution and Education in South Africa (African Human Genome Initiative series)
- 2010-12-16Paul Graham - Inheriting Poverty? The Link Between Children's Wellbeing and Unemployment in South Africa
- 2011-11-21The Politics of Child Sexual Abuse: Emotion, Social Movements, and the State
- 2020-05-27The Right of Necessity: Moral Cosmopolitanism and Global Poverty (Off the Fence: Morality, Politics and Society)
- 2018-09-20An Interracial Movement of the Poor Community Organizing and the New Left in the 1960s
- 2018-07-29An Interracial Movement of the Poor Community Organizing and the New Left in the 1960s
- 2012-06-06It Never Snows In September: The German View Of Market-Garden And The Battle of Arnhem September 1944
- 2009-07-30Remaking New York: Primitive Globalization and the Politics of Urban Community
- 2020-05-17The Empire of Necessity: Slavery, Freedom, and Deception in the New World
- 2020-02-10The Politics of Persuasion: Economic Policy and Media Bias in the Modern Era
- 2020-02-07The Thought of Bernard Stiegler: Capitalism, Technology and the Politics of Spirit (Media, Culture and Critique: Future Imperfect)
- 2019-12-29The Politics of Islamism: Diverging Visions and Trajectories (Middle East Today)
- 2019-12-15The Politics of Pain: Postwar England and the Rise of Nationalism
- 2019-12-13The Politics of Pain Postwar England and the Rise of Nationalism
- 2019-12-12The Politics of Trauma: Somatics, Healing, and Social Justice
- 2019-11-08Digital Cultures and the Politics of Emotion Feelings, Affect and Technological Change
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.