Posted on 2013-04-01, by ebooksfree.
The Politics of Necessity: Community Organizing and Democracy in South Africa
Published: 2011-02-12 | ISBN: 0299250148 | PDF | 264 pages | 3 MB
Drawing on interviews with local residents and activists in South Africas impoverished townships during more than a decade of dramatic political change, Zuern tracks the development of community organizing and reveals the shifting challenges faced by poor citizens. Under apartheid, township residents began organizing to press the government to address the basic material necessities of the poor and expanded their demands to include full civil and political rights. While the movement succeeded in gaining formal political rights, democratization led to a new government that instituted neo-liberal economic reforms and sought to minimize protest. In discouraging dissent and failing to reduce economic inequality, South Africas new democracy has continued to disempower the poor.
By comparing movements in South Africa to those in other African and Latin American states, this book identifies profound challenges to democratization. Zuern asserts the fundamental indivisibility of all human rights, showing how protest movements that call attention to socio-economic demands, though often labeled a threat to democracy, offer significant opportunities for modern democracies to evolve into systems of rule that empower all citizens.
- Ebooks list page : 21743
- 2011-12-29The Politics of Necessity: Community Organizing and Democracy in South Africa (Critical Human Rights)
- 2011-09-06The Politics of Necessity: Community Organizing and Democracy in South Africa (Critical Human Rights)
- 2014-03-26Love in the Time of AIDS: Inequality, Gender, and Rights in South Africa (repost)
- 2012-05-23Love in the Time of AIDS: Inequality, Gender, and Rights in South Africa (repost)
- 2011-05-22Love in the Time of AIDS: Inequality, Gender, and Rights in South Africa
- 2010-12-16Paul Graham - Inheriting Poverty? The Link Between Children's Wellbeing and Unemployment in South Africa
- 2011-11-21The Politics of Child Sexual Abuse: Emotion, Social Movements, and the State
- 2020-05-27The Right of Necessity: Moral Cosmopolitanism and Global Poverty (Off the Fence: Morality, Politics and Society)
- 2018-09-20An Interracial Movement of the Poor Community Organizing and the New Left in the 1960s
- 2018-07-29An Interracial Movement of the Poor Community Organizing and the New Left in the 1960s
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Religion and the Politics of Tolerance: How Christianity Builds Democracy
- 2012-06-06It Never Snows In September: The German View Of Market-Garden And The Battle of Arnhem September 1944
- 2010-12-27Democracy And Music Education: Liberalism, Ethics, And The Politics Of Practice (Counterpoints: Music and Education)
- 2009-08-01The Politics of Money: Towards Sustainability and Economic Democracy
- 2009-07-30Remaking New York: Primitive Globalization and the Politics of Urban Community
- 2008-03-21Religion and the Politics of Tolerance: How Christianity Builds Democracy
- 2020-05-17The Empire of Necessity: Slavery, Freedom, and Deception in the New World
- 2020-03-21Islam and Democracy in South Asia: The Case of Bangladesh
- 2020-02-10The Politics of Persuasion: Economic Policy and Media Bias in the Modern Era
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.