The Western: Four Classic Novels of the 1940s & 50s (LOA #331): The Ox-Bow Incident / Shane / The Searchers / Warlock (The Library of America)
Author: Walter Van Tilburg Clark
Posted on 2020-08-31, by temrick.
Rediscover the golden age of the Western with this collection of four unforgettable novels of honor, adventure, and violence set against the magnificent landscapes of the American frontier
The heroic exploits and violent struggles of the Old West come alive once more through this one-of-a-kind collection of four thrilling novels. Edited by Ron Hansen, this deluxe hardcover edition shows that the 1940s and 1950s was a golden age for the Western novel.
In the Pulitzer Prize-winning The Ox-Bow Incident, Walter van Tilburg Clark explores the thin line between civilization and barbarism through the story of a lynch mob that targets three innocent men, exposing a dark authoritarian impulse at work the American frontier. Set in Wyoming in 1889, a time when ranchers and cattle companies waged war with each other, Jack Schaefer's iconic Shane deploys many of the genre's most essential elements, brilliantly filtered through a boy's perceptions. Alan Le May's The Searchers, the basis for John Ford's cinematic masterpiece starring John Wayne, follows the dogged quest of two men to rescue a young girl taken prisoner by Comanche warriors. And Oakley Hall's Warlock, a novel that anticipates the later books of Cormac McCarthy and Larry McMurtry, casts the battle for control of a southwestern outpost as a bloody saga pitting a marauding gang of cowboys and rustlers against the town's defenders, led by the legendary gunslinger Clay Blaisedell. All four novels were memorably adapted for the screen, and their gripping stories--told with brisk narrative energy, psychological depth, and laconic humor--have contributed unforgettably to the Western's enduring legacy in American culture.
- Ebooks list page : 44467
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Carson McCullers: Stories, Plays & Other Writings (The Library of America)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Virgil Thomson: The State of Music & Other Writings: Library of America #277 (The Library of America)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] President Lincoln Assassinated!!: the Firsthand Story of the Murder, Manhunt, Tr: (A Special Publication of The Library of America)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] The Top of His Game: the Best Sportswriting of W. C. Heinz: (A Special Publication of The Library of America)
- 2017-10-25[PDF] War No More: Three Centuries of American Antiwar and Peace Writing: Library of America #278 (The Library of America)
- 2020-04-22Classic Novels - Meeting the Challenge of Great Literature (TTC Video)
- 2019-03-31Classic Novels - Meeting the Challenge of Great Literature (TTC Video)
- 2019-01-08Classic Novels - Meeting the Challenge of Great Literature (TTC Video)
- 2019-01-07Classic Novels - Meeting the Challenge of Great Literature (TTC Video)
- 2018-11-15The Life Beyond the Veil A Compilation of Four Classic Books
- 2018-11-13The Things That Matter What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life
- 2018-09-24See It Feelingly: Classic Novels, Autistic Readers, and the Schooling of a No-Good English Professor
- 2018-09-12Practical Blacksmithing: The Four Classic Volumes in One
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Classic Novels: Meeting the Challenge of Great Literature
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas: And a Dead Guy in a Pear Tree/Seduced by the Season/Evidence of Desire/Season of Wonder
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Women Crime Writers: Eight Suspense Novels of the 1940s & 50s: A Library of America Boxed Set
- 2017-10-23[PDF] The Grandmothers: Four Short Novels
- 2016-12-23[PDF] The Grandmothers: Four Short Novels
- 2016-06-14Classic Novels Meeting the Challenge of Great Literature
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.