Posted on 2012-05-06. By anonymous.
English | 2011-01-30 | ISBN: 0226395855 | 280 pages | PDF | 1 MB
Hip-hop has come a long way from its origins in the Bronx in the 1970s, when rapping and DJing were just part of a lively, decidedly local scene that also venerated b-boying and graffiti. Now hip-hop is a global phenomenon and, in the United States, a massively successful corporate enterprise predominantly controlled and consumed by whites while the most prominent performers are black. How does this shift in racial dynamics affect our understanding of contemporary hip-hop, especially when the music perpetuates stereotypes of black men? Do black listeners interpret hip-hop differently from white fans?
These questions have dogged hip-hop for decades, but unlike most pundits, Michael P. Jeffries finds answers by interviewing everyday people. Instead of turning to performers or media critics, Thug Life focuses on the music's fans--young men, both black and white--and the resulting account avoids romanticism, offering an unbiased examination of how hip-hop works in people's daily lives. As Jeffries weaves the fans' voices together with his own sophisticated analysis, hip-hop is revealed as a tool listeners use to make sense of the world, as well as a rich, self-contained culture containing politics, pleasure, virtue, and vice.
- Ebooks list page : 18486
- 2011-10-17Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop (Repost)
- 2017-04-09[PDF] Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop
- 2013-04-25Michael P. Jeffries - Thug Life: Race, Gender And The Meaning Of Hip-Hop -PDF
- 2011-11-23Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop
- 2011-11-06Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop
- 2011-08-15Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop
- 2020-10-28Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty [Audiobook]
- 2020-04-30Asians Wear Clothes on the Internet: Race, Gender, and the Work of Personal Style Blogging
- 2020-01-11Medical Bondage: Race, Gender, and the Origins of American Gynecology
- 2019-06-24Medical Bondage Race, Gender, and the Origins of American Gynecology [Audiobook]
- 2018-12-14Asians Wear Clothes on the Internet Race, Gender, and the Work of Personal Style Blogging
- 2018-11-13The Scottish Enlightenment Race, Gender, and the Limits of Progress
- 2018-10-12Visible Identities Race, Gender, and the Self
- 2018-06-05Work or Fight! Race, Gender, and the Draft in World War One - Removed
- 2018-05-13Medical Bondage Race, Gender, and the Origins of American Gynecology
- 2018-01-07[PDF] New Directions in Social Theory: Race, Gender and the Canon
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Framing the West: Race, Gender, and the Photographic Frontier in the Pacific Northwest
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Looking South: Race, Gender and the Transformation of Labor from Reconstruction to Globalization
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.