Posted on 2019-10-20, by selverine.
Over the last generation, the United States has undergone seismic changes. Stable institutions have given way to frictionless transactions, which are celebrated no matter what collateral damage they generate. The concentration of great wealth has coincided with the fraying of social ties and the rise of inequality. How did all this come about?
In Transaction Man, Nicholas Lemann explains the United States'—and the world's—great transformation by examining three remarkable individuals who epitomized and helped create their eras. Adolf Berle, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's chief theorist of the economy, imagined a society dominated by large corporations, which a newly powerful federal government had forced to become benign and stable institutions, contributing to the public good by offering stable employment and generous pensions. By the 1970s, the corporations' large stockholders grew restive under this regime, and their chief theoretician, Harvard Business School's Michael Jensen, insisted that firms should maximize shareholder value, whatever the consequences. Today, Silicon Valley titans such as the LinkedIn cofounder and venture capitalist Reid Hoffman hope "networks" can reknit our social fabric.
Lemann interweaves these fresh and vivid profiles with a history of the Morgan Stanley investment bank from the 1930s through the financial crisis of 2008, while also tracking the rise and fall of a working-class Chicago neighborhood and the family-run car dealerships at its heart. Incisive and sweeping, Transaction Man is the definitive account of the reengineering of America—with enormous consequences for all of us.
- Ebooks list page : 41573
- 2019-11-22Transaction Man: The Rise of the Deal and the Decline of the American Dream
- 2012-01-11Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2012-01-08Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2011-05-21The American Heritage Book of English Usage: A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English
- 2013-10-31"Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream" by Andres Duany, et al. (Repost)
- 2012-06-07Retreat, Hell! We Just Got Here: The American Expeditionary Force in France 1917-18 (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2012-01-08Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream
- 2012-01-07Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream
- 2011-11-08The American Rhetorical Construction of the Iranian Nuclear Threat
- 2011-10-15The American Heritage Book of English Usage
- 2011-06-03How the Arabian Nights Inspired the American Dream, 1790-1935 - Removed
- 2020-05-11Third Wave Capitalism: How Money, Power, and the Pursuit of Self-Interest Have Imperiled the American Dream
- 2020-05-01Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
- 2020-02-24A Time to Build: From Family and Community to Congress and the Campus, How Recommitting to Our Institutions Can Revive the American Dream
- 2020-02-20The Strip: Las Vegas and the Architecture of the American Dream (The MIT Press)
- 2019-12-28Fintech, Small Business & the American Dream: How Technology Is Transforming Lending and Shaping a New Era of Small Business Opportunity
- 2019-08-01!@(Nice) - Why You Should Read Spare Parts: Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot, and the Battle for the American Dream by Joshua Davis Online or Download [#PDF #EPUB #MOBI]
- 2019-03-28The Snakehead An Epic Tale of the Chinatown Underworld and the American Dream
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.