Posted on 2007-05-11, updated at 2007-05-27. By anonymous.
To the reader.?shy;What this book wants is not a simple Preface but an apology, and a very brilliant and convincing one at that. Recognising this fully, and feeling quite incompetent to write such a masterpiece, I have asked several literary friends to write one for me, but they have kindly but firmly declined, stating that it is impossible satisfactorily to apologise for my liberties with Lindley Murray and the Queen's English. I am therefore left to make a feeble apology for this book myself, and all I can personally say is that it would have been much worse than it is had it not been for Dr. Henry Guillemard, who has not edited it, or of course the whole affair would have been better, but who has most kindly gone through the proof sheets, lassoing prepositions which were straying outside their sentence stockade, taking my eye off the water cask and fixing it on the scenery where I meant it to be, saying firmly in pencil on margins "No you don't," when I was committing some more than usually heinous literary crime, and so on. In cases where his activities in these things may seem to the reader to have been wanting, I beg to state that they really were not. It is I who have declined to ascend to a higher level of lucidity and correctness of diction than I am fitted for. I cannot forbear from mentioning my gratitude to Mr. George Macmillan for his patience and kindness with me,?shy;a mere jungle of information on West Africa. Whether you my reader will share my gratitude is, I fear, doubtful, for if it had not been for him I should never have attempted to write a book at all, and in order to excuse his having induced me to try I beg to state that I have written only on things that I know from personal experience and very careful observation.
- Ebooks list page : 89
- 2020-05-12Living in a Landscape of Scarcity: Materiality and Cosmology in West Africa (UCL Institute of Archaeology Publications)
- 2020-05-01Assembling Export Markets: The Making and Unmaking of Global Food Connections in West Africa (RGS-IBG Book Series)
- 2020-02-29Nurturing Sustainable Prosperity in West Africa: Examples from Ghana
- 2020-02-27Lonely Planet West Africa (Travel Guide) Ed 9
- 2019-12-30Shadows of Empire in West Africa: New Perspectives on European Fortifications (African Histories and Modernities)
- 2019-12-28Improving the Profitability, Sustainability and Efficiency of Nutrients Through Site Specific Fertilizer Recommendations in West Africa Agro-Ecosystems: Volume 2
- 2019-12-28Improving the Profitability, Sustainability and Efficiency of Nutrients Through Site Specific Fertilizer Recommendations in West Africa Agro-Ecosystems: Volume 1
- 2019-12-10Maritime Security in East and West Africa: A Tale of Two Regions
- 2019-11-04Modern African Wars (3): South-West Africa
- 2019-08-09Maritime Security in East and West Africa A Tale of Two Regions
- 2019-01-28Poverty and Small-scale Fisheries in West Africa - Removed
- 2019-01-26JihÄd in West Africa During the Age of Revolutions
- 2019-01-10Adaptation to Climate Change and Variability in Rural West Africa
- 2019-01-03Ifa Divination Communication Between Gods and Men in West Africa
- 2018-12-28Adaptation to Climate Change and Variability in Rural West Africa
- 2018-11-01The Pygmy Hippo Story West Africa's Enigma of the Rainforest
- 2018-10-31Jihad in West Africa During the Age of Revolutions
- 2018-10-10The Athens of West Africa A History of International Education at Fourah Bay College, Freetown, Sierra Leone
- 2018-09-08Jihad in West Africa During the Age of Revolutions
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.