Posted on 2010-04-03. By anonymous.
University of California Press | 2006 | ISBN: 0520245857 | English | 344 pages | PDF | 1.80 Mb
This highly original study provides an entirely new critical perspective on the central importance of ideas about language in the reproduction of gender, class, and race divisions in modern Japan. Focusing on a phenomenon commonly called "women's language," in modern Japanese society, Miyako Inoue considers the history and social effects of this language form. Drawing on ethnographic fieldwork in a contemporary Tokyo corporation to study the everyday linguistic experience of white-collar females office workers and on historical research from the late nineteenth century to 1930, she calls into question the claim that "women's language" is a Japanese cultural tradition of ancient origin and offers a critical geneaology showing the extent to which this language form is, in fact, a cultural construct linked with Japan's national and capitalist modernity. Her theoretically sophisticated, empirically grounded, interdisciplinary work brilliantly illuminates the relationship between culture and language, the nature of power and subject formation in modernity, and how the complex nexus of gender, language, and political economy are experienced in everyday life.
- Ebooks list page : 5244
- 2014-06-18Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan
- 2014-06-11Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan [Repost]
- 2012-04-02Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan [Repost]
- 2017-11-12[PDF] The Nature of the Beasts: Empire and Exhibition at the Tokyo Imperial Zoo (Asia: Local Studies / Global Themes)
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Go Nation: Chinese Masculinities and the Game of Weiqi in China (Asia: Local Studies / Global Themes)
- 2017-11-01Luxury and Rubble: Civility and Dispossession in the New Saigon (Asia: Local Studies / Global Themes)
- 2017-10-20Luxury and Rubble: Civility and Dispossession in the New Saigon (Asia: Local Studies / Global Themes)
- 2021-08-02Language, Gender and Videogames - Removed
- 2021-06-02Multilingual Singapore: Language Policies and Linguistic Realities
- 2021-04-24The Routledge Handbook of Language, Gender, and Sexuality
- 2021-04-15Handbook of Language, Gender, and Sexuality by Jo Angouri
- 2021-04-01Language, Gender and Law in the Judaeo Islamic Milieu Cambridge Genizah Studies Series Volume 10
- 2020-01-04Language Before Stonewall: Language, Sexuality, History (Palgrave Studies in Language, Gender and Sexuality)
- 2019-02-01The Handbook of Language, Gender, and Sexuality
- 2018-09-28The Handbook of Language, Gender, and Sexuality, 2nd Edition
- 2018-09-12The Handbook of Language, Gender, and Sexuality, 2nd Edition
- 2018-07-20Brexit, Language Policy and Linguistic Diversity
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Prehistory, History and Historiography of Language, Speech, and Linguistic Theory: Papers in honor of Oswald Szemerenyi I (Current Issues in Linguistic Theory)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Edmund Burke's Aesthetic Ideology: Language, Gender and Political Economy in Revolution (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.