Posted on 2011-09-07. By anonymous.
Viktoria Tolstoy - Letters To Herbie (FLAC) (2011)
EAC Rip | Flac(tracks) - cue - log | 336 MB | 1 CD | Full Scans
Viktoria Tolstoy has been a great admirer of Hancock since her early youth and the idea to do a tribute project has been with her for a while. â€œI think it was in 2004,â€ says Tolstoy, â€œat the Jazz Baltica Festival in Salzau, when I had the privilege to share the stage with Herbie and his band, including the amazing Wayne Shorter. As usual, after that there was a big late night jam session going on. I was sitting behind the drums and had just started to play, when someone called â€˜Viktoria, Herbie is expecting you â€“ he wants to have dinner with you!â€™ I immediately dropped the drumsticks and went downstairs, where Herbie and his entire band were already waiting for me. I was seated directly opposite my idol and next to Wayne Shorter. It was a truly surreal experience and I enjoyed every second of it!â€
Needless to say, it was Hancockâ€™s openness towards pop, soul and funk which won Viktoria Tolstoy over. She herself found widespread acclaim with her pop influenced â€˜90s album â€œWhite Russianâ€ (which she recorded with the EsbjÃ¶rn Svensson Trio), and ever since she has remained true to melodic jazz spiced up with Scandinavian, Russian or American pop and folk music. With â€œLetters to Herbieâ€ Tolstoy was faced with a tough choice. â€œIt was not easy to select 12 out of the huge amount of songs, but I just listened to my heart.â€ Her smart decision was not to pick the biggest hits, such as â€œCantaloupe Islandâ€ or â€œWatermelon Manâ€, which have already been covered too often. Her choice of songs fits together perfectly, although the selection covers Hancockâ€™s different musical eras. The focus is largely on the songs of his funky â€˜80s era, with selections such as â€œI Thought It Was Youâ€ or â€œGive It All Your Heartâ€, but classics are also included; Hancockâ€™s â€œButterflyâ€ or Coltraneâ€™s â€œNaimaâ€, of which Hancock recorded a thrilling version in 2002.
Whether its ballads like â€œChanâ€™s Songâ€œ, or groovy pieces like the bonus track â€œCome On, Come Overâ€œ, Tolstoyâ€™s versions sound timeless, neither artificial nor deliberately, ostentatiously modern. All of them are carried by Viktoriaâ€™s voice, which gives the music a special touch with its incredible clarity and imaginativeness. The overall effect also has a lot to do with the wonderfully attuned band, particularly Nils Landgren. As well as producing the album and playing the trombone, he wrote the title song himself and sings it with Tolstoy and Magnus Lindgren, telling the story of Viktoriaâ€™s encounter with Hancock. Tolstoyâ€™s longstanding pianist, Jacob Karlzon, accepts the challenge of taking the seat of the master and convinces with impressive solos on piano and a variety of tones and colours on keyboard and Fender Rhodes, while Matthias Svensson on bass and Rasmus Kihlberg on drums provide the silky, groovy rhythms. Krister Johnssonâ€™s guitar is strongly influenced by soul music, occasionally evoking George Benson (but not forgetting the funky wah-wah-pedal), and the impressive brass sections were played and arranged by Magnus Lindgren.
In order to discover all the technical nuances and the musical subtleties, such as the brass section in â€œCome Running to Meâ€, and the outstanding quality of the individual interpretations, you have to listen to the songs several times. â€œI wrote a letter to Herbie, he never answered,â€ sings Victoria Tolstoy in the title song. This time he most probably will
1. Trust Me - 04:02 (Hancock, Herbie / Rubinson, David / Willis, Allee)
2. Textures - 05:22 (Hancock, Herbie / Alerstedt, Anna)
3. I Thought It Was You - 05:37 (Cohen, Jeffrey / Hancock, Herbie / Ragin, Melvin)
4. Chanâ€™s Song - 03:54 (Hancock, Herbie / Wonder, Stevie)
5. Butterfly - 04:15 (Hancock, Herbie / Maupin, Bennie)
6. Come Running To Me - 05:57 (Hancock, Herbie / Willis, Allee / Hancock, Herbie / Willis, Allee)
7. Give It All Your Heart - 03:45 (Hancock, Herbie / Temperton, Rodney / Hancock, Herbie / Temperton, Rodney)
8. Letter To Herbie - 04:08 (Landgren, Nils / Lindgren, Magnus / Tolstoy, Viktoria)
9. Paradise - 03:42 (Champlin, Bill / Foster, David / Graydon, Jay / Hancock, Herbie)
10. Chemical Residue - 04:49 (Hancock, Herbie / Alerstedt, Anna)
11. Tell Me A Bedtime Story - 03:52 (Hancock, Herbie / Alerstedt, Anna)
12. Naima - 03:47 (Coltrane, John / Hendricks, John)
13. Come On, Come Over - 04:05 (Pastorius, John / Herzog, Bob)
Viktoria Tolstoy / vocals
Jacob Karlzon / piano, keyboards
Krister Jonsson / guitars
Mattias Svensson / bass
Rasmus Kihlberg / drums
Nils Landgren / trombone & vocals
Magnus Lindgren / woodwinds
Produced by Nils Landgren
Recorded at Gula Studio MalmÃ¶ by David Carlsson & Jan Ugand.
Additional recordings, mixed and mastered by Lars Nilsson, Nilento Studio, Gothenburg.
Download album: (4% Recovery)
- Ebooks list page : 13383
- 2019-04-20Viktoria Tolstoy - My Russian Soul (2008) FLAC
- 2017-10-31[PDF] PREPARE THE WAY- Letters from GOD- Year 2011
- 2014-05-02VA-Kontor House Of House Vol 11 (3CD/FLAC/2011)
- 2014-04-23VA-Dream Dance Vol 60 (2CD/FLAC/2011)
- 2014-04-23VA-Dream Dance Vol 58 (2CD/FLAC/2011)
- 2014-04-21Draconian-A Rose For The Apocalypse-Limited Edition Digipak (CD/FLAC/2011)
- 2014-03-23Viktoria Tolstoy & Jacob Karlzon - A Moment of Now (2013) MP3
- 2014-02-14Viktoria Tolstoy & Jacob Karlzon - A Moment of Now (2013)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Winterland (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] The Jimi Hendrix Experience - San Francisco 1968 (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Suzi Quatro - In The Spotlight (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Staind - Staind (Deluxe Edition) (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Stream of Passion - Darker Days (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Ramones - Various Artists - The Old Grey Whistle Test (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Ray Charles - Live in Concert (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam Twenty (FLAC) (2011) - Removed
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Pistol Annies - Hell On Heels (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Maysa - Maysa Leak - The Very Best of Maysa (FLAC) (2011)
- 2011-09-18[MULTI] Loney Dear - Hall Music (FLAC) (2011)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.